Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kymooses View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noobie in the house
    Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by mmgraham969

kymooses, we're fully retired and living in Alabama--where both Sweetie and I grew up. In fact, we're living in the house where she grew up, and about three miles from where I grew up. I worked at Ft. Campbell, while living just across the state line in Tennessee. We pass through Kentucky en route to visit our son and his family in Ohio, west/southwest of Dayton. Sweetie and I tolerate each other's "company" pretty well--besides being married for a long time, we've also been best friends for a long time.

being best friends makes it all the more easy!
mmgraham969 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 11:51pm
kymooses, we're fully retired and living in Alabama--where both Sweetie and I grew up. In fact, we're living in the house where she grew up, and about three miles from where I grew up. I worked at Ft. Campbell, while living just across the state line in Tennessee. We pass through Kentucky en route to visit our son and his family in Ohio, west/southwest of Dayton. Sweetie and I tolerate each other's "company" pretty well--besides being married for a long time, we've also been best friends for a long time.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:46pm
Are you folks retired in Kentucky now?

There are lots of us Podders here in Kentucky and you'd easily be able to bump into any or all of us out and about any of the campgrounds here.

We'd love to answer any of your questions and show you around.

A quick personal opinion, 2 people, some pets, and the Pod will have all the comforts that you need.  We don't spend a lot of time in our Pod, it's a nice air conditioned get away from the heat, it's warm in the cold months.  It's a great place for naps and reading.

If we were doing extensive traveling or super long trips we'd want something larger, for trips of a week or two at a time my wife and I have yet to strangle each other.  We get very comfy in ours with our dogs, the key is finding the floorplan that suits your needs!
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 6:10pm
Tents, popup, two 5w, and a 36 Diesel pusher with 350 cat.

We like this better...
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 12:41pm
There's lots of camaraderie among rPod owners. Some of us know each other only online, but many of us have met at informal rallies put together by other owners or at the Forest River sponsored FROG rallies. I've met some great people at these camp outs. The folks at Forest River have made the comment that "all you rPod owners seem to know each other."

There's also an rPod Nation forum and an rPod owner's Facebook page. Many of us belong to all of them. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 12:44am
Ahhh. Okay. I appreciate the clarification. Well, I don't see how we could POSSIBLY push any more air with the R-Pod than what I was pushing with the Cobra Camper conversion. THAT was a beast.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 11:29pm
M&M, actually the little "spoiler" is only a mounting point for the running lights on the upper-rear.  It isn't intended to change the aerodynamics.  We were all hoping though.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 9:37pm
Camper Bob: well put.
our 2011 RP-172 is actually our first, we did the kid raising working etc. went to r v shows in Louisville Ky. We really liked the Airstream Bambi, but I wouldn't come off the wallet. I think you hit the nail on the head as to what you want to do while camping. Donna and I like to walk, set outside, we fish some from the bank (put 71 blue gill and red ear in the freezer) We spend as much time as possible outdoors when camping, and the pod is the perfect compliment to our situation. It has everything needed and is well built and a good unit for the price. If I want to set in a recliner and watch a big screen t.v. with a fire in the fireplace I will stay home. We have been discussing being able to stay away from home longer when we are able to finally fully retire. I guess the Pod would be tight for 2 or 3 weeks, but I think if you select a camp area that has attractions close by, it will as Donna says, be our Hotel room on wheels.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 8:28pm
Thank you all for your responses and for your welcomes.

Sweetie and I have reached the point in our lives when we welcome, and appreciate, some of the finer things in life--including a comfortable bed, a dry place when it rains, a warm place when it's cold outside, and a cool place when it's hot outside. We both enjoy being outside, even though we don't hunt, fish, etc. Hiking (or, strolling with a destination--or, not) is also something we enjoy. We're very good friends, so the relative size of the R-Pod wouldn't be a problem.

Didn't I read where FR had come up with a spoiler that was, I assumed, supposed to help reduce some of the Pod's drag?

I've already been through a substantial amount of the forums, and anticipate eventually going through all the posts (did I mention I'm also a voracious reader?)

Again, thanks for welcomes and advice. I look forward to more of your wisdom.

M&M
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 12:37pm
I'll echo CamperBob's comments, especially on what type of camping you want and like to do.  If you enjoy being outside of the camper for most of your time then it is a great fit.  If you would rather limit your exposure to nature whilst being out in nature, I would recommend getting something different.

As for the Pod itself, we spent 1.5 years researching it against others in the same class before buying ours last fall, and found nothing really comparable to it out there.  We love it, use it a lot, and look forward to continuing to use it for many-many years.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>