Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNoobie in the house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noobie in the house
    Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 5:56pm
I'm probably here under false pretenses, since I'm not actually an R-Pod owner. But my wife and I are very interested in getting more information, learning what kind of experiences you've had with yours, if you'd buy another R-Pod (are you a happy owner?), and any other experiences, both good and bad.

My wife and I are both retired; I'm an AF retiree (24 years, both officer and enlisted), with another almost-15-years working with a military contractor supporting the 101st Airborne Division at Ft. Campbell, KY. My wife worked as administrative assistant to a financial planner for a number of years. We've both been "ultimately" retired since late 2008.

We started out tent camping in Germany, then bought a used Cobra conversion camper (Dodge 3/4 ton Tradesman van chassis); we continued to use that after we returned to the States; later, we sold that and bought a Coachman 17' pop-up, which we towed with a Mercury Lynx 2L diesel w/ 5-speed manual transmission. We've been out of the camping business for many years, but want to get started back, maybe with a road/camping trip out west.

I'm here to find out everything I can about R-Pods. The R-Pod looks like a happy compromise between full-size camper trailers and the pop-ups. Like I said, we're just examining possibilities.

Thanks in advance for your responses to our "noob" questions.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 8:37pm
   Hope I can be helpful in your interest in the R-Pods. Recently we have been looking at different campers in thought of buying something larger. But what I have seen R-Pods are above average in quality a little small but being small they have the advantage of being easily towed. If you can live with the size I think they are a good choice for a camper. All campers so far by what I have read have there problems the R-Pod exterior being all fiberglass is easy to maintain and is durable. There have been minor problems with a few but nothing major that couldn't be easily repaired. I think it comes down to a matter of personal choice what fits your life style and could be towed by your tow vehicle. This forum and its many experienced members are able to be of a great help in answering your questions that's a big plus. I hope this helps  David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:38pm
Guess I'll jump in with my two cents worth. We are both retired and have camped for years when our sons were small. Dragged them and our 25' trailer all over the Western US for years. Long story short, had not camped for 20 years. Last year while shopping at Costco saw my first Rpod and was fascinated with the size of it. Immediately went to the web and started researching Rpods. Came away with the quality of the build and the amazing resource this forum is. Purchased a new 2013 171 Hood River edition. Went to the factory to see them assembled. Was very impressed. Took delivery last June and promptly put on 6,000 miles. Other then a few minor concerns, it is all that we could ask. Now you have to ask yourself what type of campers are you? Do you need to be entertained, or does the outdoors provide all your entertainment. After all, they are very compact but contain all the necessary accoutrements that make our mature years comfortable. Hot shower, heat, A/C, refrigerator for the basics and to cool the tonic water for the Gin and whatever your other personal poisons are. As we speak we are in Washington State camping in Port Townsend in a wonderful campground right on the sound. For two people and possibly a pet, these really provide all that you will need to camp and be comfortable. We just ran into another couple at the same campground with a 2010 Rpod. He has had much larger trailers including a motorhome and finally saw an Rpod and sold the big rig and bought an Rpod. He and his wife couldn't be more delighted with their Rpod and do not miss the bigger rigs. Quality wise, I think you will hear from most on this forum that the build quality of these units is the best in this price/size range. Could go on but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. Do your research diligently and possibly go to a local RV show and compare other units in this size/price range. Don't think you will find anything better. Next to us is a 35' Teton 5th wheel. They were the gold standard for years. Unfortunately, they went bankrupt a few years ago. Forest River is the manufacturer of Rpods. They are the largest manufacturer of RV's in the country, and incidently owned by Warren Buffet. The point is they are a very healthy company and will be around for many years. Read on this forum how responsive Forest River has been when a problem has arisen with any of our Pods. I think most have been very satisfied with the workmanship and service after sale from Forest River. Will get off my soap box but I would suggest you won't have made a mistake by purchasing an Rpod. We certainly haven't. Good luck and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:51pm
Welcome.  One thing to keep in mind is they look very aerodynamic, but they aren't.  Don't expect to get great mpgs.  Most here get around 12 mpg, and some get less.  I got around 12 with our prior TV, but my current one so far gets about 9, maintaining 65 most of the time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 12:37pm
I'll echo CamperBob's comments, especially on what type of camping you want and like to do.  If you enjoy being outside of the camper for most of your time then it is a great fit.  If you would rather limit your exposure to nature whilst being out in nature, I would recommend getting something different.

As for the Pod itself, we spent 1.5 years researching it against others in the same class before buying ours last fall, and found nothing really comparable to it out there.  We love it, use it a lot, and look forward to continuing to use it for many-many years.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
mmgraham969 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 8:28pm
Thank you all for your responses and for your welcomes.

Sweetie and I have reached the point in our lives when we welcome, and appreciate, some of the finer things in life--including a comfortable bed, a dry place when it rains, a warm place when it's cold outside, and a cool place when it's hot outside. We both enjoy being outside, even though we don't hunt, fish, etc. Hiking (or, strolling with a destination--or, not) is also something we enjoy. We're very good friends, so the relative size of the R-Pod wouldn't be a problem.

Didn't I read where FR had come up with a spoiler that was, I assumed, supposed to help reduce some of the Pod's drag?

I've already been through a substantial amount of the forums, and anticipate eventually going through all the posts (did I mention I'm also a voracious reader?)

Again, thanks for welcomes and advice. I look forward to more of your wisdom.

M&M
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 9:37pm
Camper Bob: well put.
our 2011 RP-172 is actually our first, we did the kid raising working etc. went to r v shows in Louisville Ky. We really liked the Airstream Bambi, but I wouldn't come off the wallet. I think you hit the nail on the head as to what you want to do while camping. Donna and I like to walk, set outside, we fish some from the bank (put 71 blue gill and red ear in the freezer) We spend as much time as possible outdoors when camping, and the pod is the perfect compliment to our situation. It has everything needed and is well built and a good unit for the price. If I want to set in a recliner and watch a big screen t.v. with a fire in the fireplace I will stay home. We have been discussing being able to stay away from home longer when we are able to finally fully retire. I guess the Pod would be tight for 2 or 3 weeks, but I think if you select a camp area that has attractions close by, it will as Donna says, be our Hotel room on wheels.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 11:29pm
M&M, actually the little "spoiler" is only a mounting point for the running lights on the upper-rear.  It isn't intended to change the aerodynamics.  We were all hoping though.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mmgraham969 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 12:44am
Ahhh. Okay. I appreciate the clarification. Well, I don't see how we could POSSIBLY push any more air with the R-Pod than what I was pushing with the Cobra Camper conversion. THAT was a beast.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 12:41pm
There's lots of camaraderie among rPod owners. Some of us know each other only online, but many of us have met at informal rallies put together by other owners or at the Forest River sponsored FROG rallies. I've met some great people at these camp outs. The folks at Forest River have made the comment that "all you rPod owners seem to know each other."

There's also an rPod Nation forum and an rPod owner's Facebook page. Many of us belong to all of them. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>