R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery life

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery life
    Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 12:48am
We have 2 batteries on our pod and usually run the refrig. off the gas, not the batteries. How long should the batteries last if we were to run the refrig. off the batteries? We have a gauge on the gas tank, but have heard that they are not reliable and are not sure how to tell how much gas we have left. We usually dry camp, so don't have hookups.

Also, how many miles of driving should it take to recharge the batteries after camping? It seems very slow! We are still learning!
Thanks so much!
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 7:55am
The batteries will only last a few days running the fridge, vs many, many days on propane. We just returned from a one week trip and ran the fridge on propane the entire time, even when driving (except in the gas station.) Much better to run it on propane and take along an extra tank when dry camping. Also, if your fridge is like mine, I swear it runs cooler on propane than on electricity. 

Some folks have invested in a two tank system with automatic switch over valve. Me, I just wait until the red fault light on the fridge comes on, then I change the tank. 

Note that the fridge still requires 12V to power the lights inside and on the front panel, gas valve and ignitor, and cooling fans in the back, but their battery draw is pretty minimal for a couple of deep cycle batteries. 

The wire gauge of the charge line coming from your vehicle is pretty small, so the charge capacity of the tow vehicle should be considered a trickle or maintenance charge. If you really need to top the batteries up while dry camping, you can use jumper cables from your running tow vehicle to the pod's batteries, or run the pod's onboard charger with a small generator.

There are many on this forum that can give you all the gory details and have more experience in some of these issues than me, so you'll likely get some very helpful answers.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 1:11am

Actually the fridge will drain the battery in a few hours - it uses 10 amps which is a huge draw.  With two batteries you might get 6 hours.  Never use the 12 volt mode unless your TV is on, and is has the correct wiring (10 gauge or better) to the Bargeman connector.  You can leave it in DC mode for short stops like a half-hour lunch or gas break.  So fine for travel, but not for in-camp.  If you are dry camping use gas mode.  I often just use gas mode right from the start when I leave, after first cooling the fridge down at home using AC mode.  If you don't use propane for anything else, the fridge will last for a month on a full tank of propane.

Your TV may not have large enough wiring - again, 10 gauge or better - which would explain why it isn't recharging the battery.

Gauges on the tanks are useless unless it is a float type, which is rare in the small tanks.  I'll spare the reasons why in this post since I'm getting ready for bed.  There is an easy way to find out how much propane you have, the "hot water method".  Take a cup of hot water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the top shoulder.  Then wait 10 seconds and feel down the side with your finger.  The tank will go from hot to cool where the liquid level is.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by techntrek

Gauges on the tanks are useless unless it is a float type, which is rare in the small tanks.

The last two 20-pound tanks that I've purchased have built-in gauges.  Manchester makes the SureFlame with a float gauge and there are several other makes around.  The tanks cost about $10 more than the basic model.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 1:13am
Good to know, I haven't seen any but I'll keep an eye out when it is time to get a new one.  Float gauge is the only way to go!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 3:38pm
First off, yeah - run on propane - using the battery mode on the refer is a waste of battery juice.

I always catch a little slack when I speak hearsy against the onboard power supply for charging the battery on the R-Pod, but I can all but guarrentee that you can double the amp-hours available from your battery if you do a proper charging routine before going camping.  The on board power supply dumps current into the battery in an uncontrolled manor when the battery is low, up to 50A.  This is fine for a perfect battery, but makes the cells have a slight inbalance after a few cycles.  This means that some of the six cells charge up to above full charge and some charge to less than full charge.  The next time the battery is discharged, those low cells go even lower, until the eventually are so 'hard' sulfated that they don't work at all.  I bet most people only get about 3 hours one battery running the refegerator, when they should be getting almost 10 hours.  These batteries can still do the job, they just need some proper attention.  What they need is a proper equalization charge, which the power supply can't do.  Equalization is basically overcharging the batteries until EVERY cell is fully charged (by means of measuring the specific gravity!!!).  Only really good chargers have at proper Equalization mode, and often it doesnt run for nearly long enough. 

Here's what I did to equalize, and actually double the AH from my ONE battery (back up to full spec of the battery).  First, let the R-pod fully charge it, and then run a little test.  Turn on all the lights and start a stop watch to see how long until the battery reads 25% on the little indicator*.   Now take that battery right out of the camper (VERY IMPORTANT). Next fully charge the battery using no more than 10A using a real charger, 2A if the battery is in bad shape.  Then remove all the caps and check the water level (yes do this second).  Top them off with distilied water.  Now run the equalization mode, or use an 16-17V power supply, limited to about 3A.  This should start some of the cells to bubble.  They are actually producing H2 and O2, so don't smoke.  The key here is that I bet they aren't all bubbling.  They need to all bubble.  Keep them full of water as recommended by the manufacture through this process.  If your battery isn't bubbling then you have an useless POS charger with no real equalization mode.  Spend that money you were going to spend on a second battery on a real charger.  Now that you have 16V pumping into the battery start measuring with a hydrometer battery tester until EVERY cell reads 1.275, which means that the cell has all the sulphic acid it can support.  Be patient, if you haven't done this in a while it can take as long as 36 hours.  So just keep checking and topping the water level.  Don't worry, you aren't harming the battery as long as you watch the water level.  Now that they are all at 1.275, stop charging and try this battery in the exact same test, it should last way longer.  You should only have to do this once per season and having one properly charged battery beats two half dead batteries.  Lastly this only applies to flooded type batteries, where you can remove the caps.  If you have a AGM, Maintaince-free or VRLA, consult with the manufacture on proper equalization. 

*I do the load testing with a 2000W inverter and a 250w 120V bulb to make the test go faster, also has the advantage of beeping when the battery is low and regulating the voltage to the bulb.
 Post Reply Post Reply