Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlue Dog RV - Post Falls, ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Dog RV - Post Falls, ID
    Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:29pm
I knew I wanted to purchase the R-Pod 178 after studying them for a couple weeks. I called Poulsbo RV here in the Seattle area and got an impudent salesman who quoted $24,500. He said they don't discount them because they can sell all that they get - but - just because he liked me - he would cut $1,000 off as part of an "Internet Special".

Luckily, I had read some very positive comments about Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, ID. I called and spoke to Lydia (their Internet Sales Rep) and she quoted a price of $14,500 for the EXACT same 2014 model 178 - fully loaded. The 5 hour drive saved me $9,000.  When I arrived at Blue Dog, I was greeted by a concierge person and she golf-carted me out to my R-Pod. Lydia soon joined me while I was inspecting my new "Podcicle". She and their service manager went over every detail of my r-pod. I have NEVER had a more pleasurable buying experience than I had at Blue Dog RV. They have a HUGE location that's almost 3 blocks long. There was NEVER any pressure of any kind to purchase "addon's". I paid $14,500 period! I camped in it for the past two weeks and it fulfilled every dream. We had a "two-day" monsoon and the Podcicle never leaked a drop!

I felt like calling the salesman at Poulsbo RV back and telling him about my deal - but - he was so obnoxious the first time that nothing would have made him more humble. And - And - And, no, they DO NOT sell R-Pods as fast as they get them. Saved $9,000 bucks and was treated like a king by Blue Dog!
"You are NEVER lost if you don't care where you are".
Bobiphl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:37pm
we had a very similar experience coming from montana
Bobi & Joan
2014 177
2012 Arctic Edition Jeep Wrangler
Paris & Plato
G-Force View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 10:02pm
Hi - 

I'm looking at buying a 178, and have been reading this forum to bone up on Rpods and the issues people encounter.  The first thing I'm struck with is the extreme variability of prices for the same unit! I read Terry2Cents post about his no-hassle experience buying a 178 at Blue Dog in Post Falls, ID.  That's not far from me here in Bozeman, MT, and $14,500 for a Forest River 178 with the options is a much cheaper sales price than the local dealer is offering.  Other dealers elsewhere ask even more - $22,000 +.  And used ones seem to sell at dealers for almost as much as new.  There doesnt seem to be the equivalent of a blue book where you can easily find out how much you ought to be paying, or is there?  And do used rpods really hold their value this well?

I've asked Blue Dog if they'll extend to me the same deal they gave Terry2Cent 2 months ago. They're out of stock of 178s right now, but will be getting more in.  Of course the salesman on the phone said the new crop will sell for more, 'as they always do', possibly $2500 more.  Is this reasonable?  Also, is it typical to get a better price if you initiate contact via the web, versus the phone?

I'm not really clear on how best to use this forum to get responses.  I'd like to hear what people have to say about pricing.  I'd also like to figure out how to send a private message.  Terry2Cent, if you're willing, I'd like to speak or email with you directly about your experience with Blue Dog.  Hope this request doesnt violate any forum rules - 
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:49am
It's simply a matter of supply and demand in my view, G-Force.  A dealer in Bozeman, with no other competition nearby, is pretty much going to be able to set his/her price at whatever they want to since the Pod's sell so fast.  Their view is going to be that if you don't want to pay the price, someone else will, and they are betting on the fact that customers are not going to want to drive a long ways away in order to buy one cheaper. 
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 9:29am
Demand for the 178 is very high.  I contacted 6 dealers, and none had one on their lot.  Those that had them on order also indicated on their web sites that sale is pending.  I ordered one, although I never had the opportunity to actually see one, and the delivery time is 6 weeks.  This is probably true of all dealers who price their units at reasonable prices.  If they have them in stock, chances are their price is higher than their competitors. This is just a personal observation and opinion.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:06pm

Check very carefully online for the lowest price, then use that as a bargaining chip with your local dealer.  Using the threat of driving to another state to get a better deal will work.  Our dealer wanted $18,000 for ours and after negotiations wouldn't go below $14,000.  I pulled out an offer for $11,999 from another dealer and he immediately came down to $12,500. 

Many more examples here of similar deals.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Fj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:31am

Hi, I am experiencing the same thing.  I am looking for a 177 HRE crown royal  model and would love to find out what price to pay.   

2013 R pod 177 HRE
07 Toyota Fj
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:50am
Welcome.  I can only offer the same advice that I offered a few days ago, above... find the best price you can online and use that for bargaining with your local dealer.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Fj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:40pm
Thanks for the advice.  I will start doing my research
2013 R pod 177 HRE
07 Toyota Fj
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 4:36pm
We had the same great experience with Vic as our salesman.  Everybody there was first rate.  Drove from Wyoming and saved many thousand dollars.  Blue dog is A+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>