R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedground clearance - Event Date: 05 May 2013 - 27 Aug 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: ground clearance
    Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Craneman

I just finished installing my riser kits this morning,2 1/2 hrs tools put away and cleaned up. I`m kinda slow. the one thing i did that I haven`t heared any one talk about is making sure the axle get back to the same position for alignment purposes. I made a reference mark and used a square,it didn`t go back on it`s own. all in all it was a pretty easy job. 

Moe

You did better than I did, Moe.  I finally started this morning and did not even have the wheels off before my wife told me it was 79 degrees in the house.  Had to stop, checked the heat pump and found the starting capacitor had blown.  Simple replacement, but finding a replacement was difficult.  Got the heat pump back into operation, had lunch and finished the riser installation.  Total time was over 5 hours.  When you live in Florida, women seem to think air conditioning is more important than working on a R-Pod. 

By the way, my dealer had really torqued down the lug nuts.  I used a pneumatic impact wrench and even with 150 psi pressure, they would not budge.  Ended up using a 1/2" drive socket with an 18" socket bar, and finally slipped the handle of my floor jack over the bar.  That did the trick.  Lesson learned to to check your lug nuts before going on a trip.  RV dealers, car and tire shops, etc., seem to have a tendency to over-torque lug nuts.  Had I been away from home, I would not have been able to remove them if I had a flat.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 8:08pm
Along that line of thought....how many of us carry a jack tHat we can use to lift our pod?
Eddy the Escape Pod...177
Ford F150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 8:34pm
Both of my vehicles came with scissor jacks that are shaped to cradle an axle or the frame.  I do keep a 2 ton scissor jack in the pod, just in case.  Knock on wood, but I have not had to use a jack on the road since 1999. 

We might also ask how many of us carry a decent wheel lug wrench in our pod.  I have always kept a folding 4-way lug wrench in every trailer I have owned, but I have never had to use it on the road.  My TV has 18" wheels and the wrench for them will not fit the pod.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123