Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:42pm
They are cited in the link I gave in a post earlier in this thread.  Basically, in Wisconsin  all trailers must have brakes except for folding camping trailers weighing under 3000#. 

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 12:03am
Most small boat, snowmobile, and utility trailers don't have brakes here. There must be a weight limit.

I must be blind. I went through this thread post by post and can't find any reference except Michigan. Can you point me to it please? I want to make sure I am kosher.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 12:18am
Ok pod owners...how important is the walkthrough? I ask because the place I bought it was a wholesaler and is 2.5 hours away. I can go to another dealer that is much closer and feign interest. I'm sure I can get a semi formal walkthrough there.
To clarify, I am getting a 2014 rpod 182G. It seems the main difference is a convection oven and a grill.
I know this is petty and dumb, but it's Labor day weekend. I would only like to know if the walkthrough when purchasing is awe inspiringly different than asking good questions at a local dealer.
Let me know what your experiences were and the significance of them. Yes, this is a very selfish reason. Lol
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 1:09am
Sorry I'm coming late to this party. Yes, I towed my 181G short a distance with a 2002 Jeep TJ (3300#), I was in a bind and had to bring it home, a distance of 80 miles. I Planned to travel on secondary roads, travel at about 30 mph and depend on my towing experience, not my best decision. I installed an old brake controller (turned all the way up, nonadjustable from the driver's seat) that had worked fine with an even heavier trailer towed by a 1973 Jeep CJ with a V8. (but that's another story)

No fun, two "white knuckle" stops, you see, I didn't plan on dealing with careless drivers that day. Started off in a light rain, the TJ pulled OK for 190 hp, we were going slow, but it felt "uncomfortable" during a medium to hard stop, seemed to "wander" slightly. The r.pod was new so it was completely empty, at about 2750#, and it still "manhandled" my TJ. On the two hard stops, it didn't "overwhelm" the brakes, but the front tires. The tires were Goodyear Wranglers, one size oversize and they had plenty of tread, so that wasn't the problem. The Jeep's front wheels would lock up just a split second after if I applied them, if I was too "aggressive". I guess as the trailer brakes were applied it shifted additional tongue weight on the Jeep's hitch. The additional tongue weight would then unload the front axle allowing the wheels to lock up, obviously a marginal condition existed even without the brakes applied. I think it would have been worse if the Jeep wasn't a manual transmission or had a longer ball mount. I have come to the conclusion that it's not just the trailer weight or tongue weight we need to be concerned about, but how our particular vehicle handles the change in tongue weight during a stop without a WDH.

Newer Jeep two doors, JKs, weigh about 500# more, have a longer wheelbase, and disc brakes on the rear too, but are still rated at the same 2000#. After my experience with "short wheelbase" vehicles, I'm not sure I would feel entirely comfortable towing my 181G with the even the longer wheelbase, Wrangler Unlimited 4 door.    
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 4:14am
Sleepless; It is my understanding that as long as you are legal in the state you are licensed in and tagged in the you are ok  in the other states. Just like if you had a class A that required a modified CDL in your state you would be legal to drive it in the rest of the country. That is my understanding otherwise you would be basically state bound to your state.
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 7:07am
Pod a terre you are correct. Legal is fine, civil is a different story.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 7:08am
Dingo- Thanks. That's the kind of story I was hoping for. We are going with the full size truck option. Started looking yesterday. Hopefully we'll find something soon and then no prpblems. Thanks again for sharing!
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Most small boat, snowmobile, and utility trailers don't have brakes here. There must be a weight limit.

I must be blind. I went through this thread post by post and can't find any reference except Michigan. Can you point me to it please? I want to make sure I am kosher.

No problem.  It blends in with the rest of the post.  Here it is, but you will have to copy and paste it.  I am sure there are several more sites with the same information, but this is the first one I saw.
http://www.boatwheels.biz/brakelaws.pdf

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:28am
Thanks. I see it applies to travel trailers and 5th wheels. I see lots of boat trailers without brakes, and bunches of small utility trailers too that have no brakes. That includes my boat and both trailers. I don't know if the law excludes them or if LE ignores this unless they need o stop a vehicle. I know some cops and can find out.

How about the dollys that go underneath car wheels? My neighbor has one and it has no brakes. He has had big cars on that! I wouldn't want that much weight behind my truck without brakes!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Pod-a-terre

Sleepless; It is my understanding that as long as you are legal in the state you are licensed in and tagged in the you are ok  in the other states. Just like if you had a class A that required a modified CDL in your state you would be legal to drive it in the rest of the country. That is my understanding otherwise you would be basically state bound to your state.

My expertise in in Federal law, so I based my comment only on a limited experience with state laws.  Normally if you are outside your home state, the laws, ordinances, etc. of the state you are entering apply.  Examples are speed limits, load limits, making right turns on a red traffic signal, and so forth.  It stands to reason (this is only my opinion) that the same applies to trailer requirements such as safety chains, break-away switches, fenders, working brakes, license plate lights and other similar items.

Some states have reciprocal agreements with neighboring states on carrying firearms and other non-vehicular matters, but I am not aware of any states having reciprocal agreements regarding trailer requirements.

Again, this is only my personal opinion
, based on my limited knowledge and experience in the issue.  I do know that once when I lost a fender on a small utility trailer, I received a warning notice from a local municipality in another state.  In that instance, local jurisdiction had the authority even though several other states at the time did not require fenders on small trailers. 

Personally, I believe that most new travel trailers meet the safety standards of all the states, but not always.  One exception that we are all aware of is the exterior light recall of our older R-Pods.  Technically, I am breaking the law by towing my pod until the lights are installed.  But that is another story.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>