Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 3:12pm
Can any one tell me if my 2004 6 cyl honda pilot (3,500 lb towing max) will have problems with an r pod 178?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:11pm
Welcome.  The 178 is listed as 2535 pounds dry weight, but that doesn't include the A/C, propane tank or propane, battery, Dome or any other accessories that came with it.  Just this will put you close to 3000 pounds.  Then you have to add in your clothes, towels, food, and any water in the fresh water tank, plus anything else you've loaded like chairs or an outside stove.  At this point you will be closer to the 3500 pound limit.  Another issue is the tounge weight.  The 178 starts at 257 pounds before any accessories, and most TVs have a 300 pound limit without a WDH hitch (TV = tow vehicle, WDH = weight distribution hitch).  After loading in an extra 1000 pounds of accessories and stuff you'll be closer to 350 pounds on the hitch.

Many here, including me, did ok with a 6 cylinder vehicle with a 3500 pound limit.  Short trips on back roads are fine, even shorter trips on the highway.  For me a long trip with a heavy headwind made me change my mind - the problem towing the pod isn't the weight, its the wind resistance.  Plus now that I've been over a 7000 foot pass near Albuquerque I'm very glad I didn't have my old TV to do it.  If you plan on doing big trips you'll want a more capable TV.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:17pm
I pull my 172 with a 4WD 2010 Pilot. No problems on the flats of FL and AL so far. But it's rated at 4500# due to the 4WD; the non-4WD version is rated at 3500#, primarily due to the lack of the transmission cooler I think. Higher altitude and higher incline towing remains to be seen this fall. Many Podders tow with 3500# rated 3.5L vehicles. Just go slow up the hills and stay at 60 MPH on the highways. If you plan to tow under these conditions I recommend a ScanGuage to monitor transmission oil temperature.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Cavendish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 11:15pm
I tow with a 2010 Honda Ridgeline, which came equipped from the factory with a tow package, including a transmission cooler, built-in 2" receiver, and prewired for electric brakes.

We've had our 2013 176T for only a month, and have pulled it about 1,000 miles.  All of the driving has been in my home province of Nova Scotia, which is far from flat.  I travel with only 10 gallons of water, and avoid "freighting-up" the pod.

The combination works beautifully, and we're about to venture further next week.

In the past I have towed a 2000 pound camper with a 6 cylinder Ford Escape (rated for 3500 lb), and it laboured.  Ultimately the transmission paid the price, and that was a very very expensive repair.

Some things I have learned:  do not exceed 60 mph, and 55 is preferable for controlability, fuel economy, and stopping distance.   Don't be afraid to shut off the overdrive and let the engine rev up.  Offshore-manufactured engines develop their power further up the power band than North American engines do, so they will wind up to 4,000 rpm (and further) with no ill-effect.  Drive gently using defensive techniques.

Inflate the pod tires to 55 psi - it makes a big difference in rolling resistance.  Never ever run on underinflated tires.  Big-rig truckers will tell you that a full set of tires at only 5 psi under optimum pressure will cost as much as 30% in fuel economy.

Use the cruise control only when it's a flat and easy drive, or when your leg absolutely needs a rest. Of course, if it's that critical, pull over, climb in the pod and make a cup of coffee.

A question... I am not running with an equalizer kit.  The dealer said I didn't need one, and Honda does not recommend one because it will "confuse" the automatic stabilization system.  To date, I have towed the 176T on four-lane highways, two-lane highways, dirt roads, in cross-winds, and on  rain-soaked roads with no ill effect, and always with full control.   The Ridgeline will handle the tongue weight without any sag at the rear end.  Yet, in this forum, there is quite a bit of talk about using equalizers. So I still have some doubt:  what will an equalizer set-up do for me?  Where is it really needed?
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 11:28pm
Zoa, I would never pull a pod with anything rated less than at least 4500lb.  The safety factor is just not there.  Also no matter what your dealer says, always have a tranny cooler installed, a few hundred $ now saves several thousand $ down the road. We have a toyota FJ and its rated for 5000lb for pulling.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Cavendish

I tow with a 2010 Honda Ridgeline, which came equipped from the factory with a tow package, including a transmission cooler, built-in 2" receiver, and prewired for electric brakes.

We've had our 2013 176T for only a month, and have pulled it about 1,000 miles.  All of the driving has been in my home province of Nova Scotia, which is far from flat.  I travel with only 10 gallons of water, and avoid "freighting-up" the pod.

The combination works beautifully, and we're about to venture further next week.

In the past I have towed a 2000 pound camper with a 6 cylinder Ford Escape (rated for 3500 lb), and it laboured.  Ultimately the transmission paid the price, and that was a very very expensive repair.

Some things I have learned:  do not exceed 60 mph, and 55 is preferable for controlability, fuel economy, and stopping distance.   Don't be afraid to shut off the overdrive and let the engine rev up.  Offshore-manufactured engines develop their power further up the power band than North American engines do, so they will wind up to 4,000 rpm (and further) with no ill-effect.  Drive gently using defensive techniques.

Inflate the pod tires to 55 psi - it makes a big difference in rolling resistance.  Never ever run on underinflated tires.  Big-rig truckers will tell you that a full set of tires at only 5 psi under optimum pressure will cost as much as 30% in fuel economy.

Use the cruise control only when it's a flat and easy drive, or when your leg absolutely needs a rest. Of course, if it's that critical, pull over, climb in the pod and make a cup of coffee.

A question... I am not running with an equalizer kit.  The dealer said I didn't need one, and Honda does not recommend one because it will "confuse" the automatic stabilization system.  To date, I have towed the 176T on four-lane highways, two-lane highways, dirt roads, in cross-winds, and on  rain-soaked roads with no ill effect, and always with full control.   The Ridgeline will handle the tongue weight without any sag at the rear end.  Yet, in this forum, there is quite a bit of talk about using equalizers. So I still have some doubt:  what will an equalizer set-up do for me?  Where is it really needed?

Ditto.  Pulling 178 with 2013 Ridgeline.  No problems.  Installed E2, which has aided stability.
[/URL]
Cavendish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 7:32am
Thanks Jim. My compliments on your Ridge-Pod combination.  Very good taste in equipment!

Any issues with the automatic stability control in the Ridgeline that you might be aware of?  Do you shut it off?  Or has it ever been an issue?
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 8:26am
None.  WDH has to be installed properly, bottom line.  Much less sway issues on interstate.  Got E2 hitch from Fastway.
[/URL]
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:10am
This is coming from someone that has a TV with a tow rating of 6700 lbs, and having sold and towed RV's in the past.  No doubt that your TV can tow the Rpod, however my thought is that "towing safely" really hasn't been addressed.  Going down the straight highway, no hills, no other traffic, no 40' tractor trailers, etc. I would suggest that just about anything could pull the Rpod.  However, stopping, accelerating, handling, etc. are part of the equation in pulling a trailer safely.  Recently, one of the people who post on this board had a very serious accident while towing their pod.  I don't know what the entire circumstances were, but the driver has since upgraded to a much more substantial vehicle with a much larger towing capacity.  You are exposing your family as well as others, when you push the envelope of the TV's capacity.  Those are my thoughts.  Safe Travels.

Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:24am
I totally agree Camper Bob
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider