Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:20am
My F150(2010) has integral brake controller along with 7 pin and 4pin set ups factory tow package.
WWR

When you say the U-hauls are "equipped", do you mean with an integral brake controller as mentioned above?  If so, they must have a 7-pin Bargeman on the back and not a 4-pin connection.  No 7-pin, no brakes, even if the controller is in the dash.
[/QUOTE]
WallaWallaron,2012 RP177 H.R.E.,2010 F-150.NRA Life Member
9/11 Never Forget
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:42am
Seems like we are all guessing about if the U-Haul pickup trucks have a 7-pin Bargman connector and an electric brake controller.  A call to your local U-Haul dealer should give you the answers.

CharlieM is absolutely right about the trailer brake requirements in Michigan.  However, the law is even more stringent it you look at the exception I have pasted below.  And, without electric brakes, don't even think about taking your pod to your neighboring state of Wisconsin.

These comments are offered as constructive, and I hope you accept them as such. 

MICHIGAN
Sec. 5.79
3, 000 All n/s
Trailers less than 3,000 pounds gross weight need
not be equipped with brakes if gross weight of
trailer and load do not exceed 40% of gross
weight of towing vehicle. Trailers 5,000 pounds
and over shall be equipped with brakes designed
to be applied by driver of towing vehicle.

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 1:33pm
Bob,

Interesting input on the MI regs. I have seen that 40% in other states too. It really doesn't help us since, taking my Honda for example, 6100# GVWR, a brakeless trailer could not exceed 2440# GVWR. Take away your "stuff" and you don't have much left for the empty trailer.

The last sentence is interesting: "
Trailers 5,000 pounds and over shall be equipped with brakes designed to be applied by driver of towing vehicle."I guess that eliminates hydraulic surge brakes, but does it allow electric operation by the brake pedal or does it force a manual overide like we have on our Prodigy controllers?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 2:05pm
Charlie, I was towing when I lived in Michigan and the common understanding there was that an electric brake controller was acceptable because it is applied by the operator pressing the brake pedal, the same as the vehicle's brakes are applied by the operator when he or she depresses the brake pedal.  It is also my understanding that if you tow a trailer through a state that has more stringent trailer brake requirements, you are bound by them as long as you are within that state.  Here is a link to the requirements in every state.

http://www.boatwheels.biz/brakelaws.pdf

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 2:14pm
Well we were just approved today for our rpod 182G! You are both correct on the brakes. You are responsible to know and abide by the state you are in's laws and regs. MI does require, so I'll have to check on the uhaul.
Thank you all for the info. It helps to have a place to go when you are uninformed.
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by wingnut2312

Well we were just approved today for our rpod 182G! You are both correct on the brakes. You are responsible to know and abide by the state you are in's laws and regs. MI does require, so I'll have to check on the uhaul.
Thank you all for the info. It helps to have a place to go when you are uninformed.

Congrats and "officially" welcome to Rpoding!
[/URL]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 6:28pm
Thanks! Feel free to let me know anything that could make it more fun!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by wingnut2312

So you've missed the section on we're going to rent a vehicle instead of using the Jeep? I stated that I believe the Jeep isn't going to work and we will be looking for a proper TV. I also stated that it's not worth risking it with the kids. The brake controller would not be necessary when towing it with a full size F-150 is what the dealer said.
In the future, please read the entire thread before questioning a persons intelligence. It's probably easier to realize that there is a lot of bad informationn out there clouding up the good. Asking questions is the way people wade through the b.s. and make the best decision.
Thanks for the help everyone!

I have read the entire thread, but did not realize it was a done deal that you will only pull the pod with an F-150, and when you said the dealer said brakes weren't necessary you didn't indicate which dealer or on what. 

An F-150 vs a Wrangler makes a difference regarding brakes, but I think most people would still recommend a brake controller, even with an F-150, regardless of the legal requirement.

Also, I did not question anyone's intelligence.  You can have an IQ of 187 and still not know the difference between towing capacity and tongue weight.  These are very basic and important concepts to understand when choosing a trailer and tow vehicle combination.  I'm sure you understand them now, but first indications were that maybe you didn't.  I went on to infer that you are somewhat new to towing in general. 

Sorry if I offended.  Congrats on the 182G if you go through with it.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:49pm
We are and thanks! I understand that most are safety conscience. I just didnt want to buy another vehicle unless it was necessary, which it is. The Jeep might cut it, but not wnough to keep us all safe. Thanks for the info!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

don't even think about taking your pod to your neighboring state of Wisconsin.

What are those rules?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>