Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
Seanl View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Kokopod

Yesterday we traded in our 2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic, because when we pulled our pod in extreme conditions (heat, wind) the transmission would overheat. Jeep does not make a Mopar transmission cooler for the Liberty, and installing an aftermarket would have voided our lifetime warranty.

We loved our Liberty; but when we purchased it, we owned an Aliner that was 1,000 pounds lighter than the Rpod. Add cargo, etc. and we were at just about max capacity (we use the Equalizer 4-point sway control and never felt unsafe about the actual tow, although SLOW was the word). We were in denial from last November (the first two times we overheated) until last month in Nevada with temps of 110 (two more overheats). When we took it into the dealer, they had to change the transmission fluid after only 30,000 because it was already dark. If we weren't overheating and if we could have added a transmission cooler, we would have the vehicle today, but you have to do what you have to do to be an Rpod owner.    

I have a 2009 Liberty and it came with a stock transmission cooler. I wonder if you could have just put in another stock cooler as an auxiliary . The only time I have overheated the transmission, here in the great white north, was when I was jockeying  the trailer around my yard in 4x4 one day. The Trany cooler is not in line with the fan so if you are not moving fast enough to get air over the cooler it heats up. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 2:53pm
Oh, if only!  We called Chrysler the first time it happened last October, they said NO!  When it happened this time we called Chrysler.  They said NO.  The mechanic at our Chrysler dealer called - NO!
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 2:55pm

By the way, ours had the full tow package!  Obviously the full tow package was a wee bit lacking.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 4:15pm
Just an FYI here as to camper weight. I recently took a tour of FR's rpod/Surveyor factory, and as a final step every camper is weighed. The weight includes every factory installed option as well as the empty propane tank. rPods don't ship with batteries, so that weight is not included. Air conditioners and microwaves are normally installed at the factory, so that weight is in fact included. 

The weight printed on the screen door sticker is the weight of that individual camper as it leaves the factory door.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

The weight printed on the screen door sticker is the weight of that individual camper as it leaves the factory door.

I had my doubts, but this checks out.  My pod's specification weight is 133 pounds less than shown on the screen door.  That should be about right.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Chops View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 9:55pm
we tow a 178 with a honda odyssey. No problems but we did make some modifications to make towing easier on the Ody. FYI the dry weight on the door was 2926 I believe.... 
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:02am
Just for weight comparison purposes, my 173's sticker shows 2172 pounds. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Sleepless

Just for weight comparison purposes, my 173's sticker shows 2172 pounds. 

Bob

The "screen door weight" for our 2013 178 was 2745.
[/URL]
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 11:33am
Here's a site which explains all the different numbers on an RV:

On this site it says the manufacturer itself defines how UVW (we're calling it screen door weight) is figured. The Unloaded Vehicle Weight of an RV can be an average or estimated weight for each model. It can, but may not, include factory installed options, or it may include only the most commonly ordered options. It also says that some manufacturers weigh each unit to determine the UVW. This is the case at Forest River's Rpod/Surveyor plant. They actually park each unit on a scale and print the sticker just before it goes out the door.

The screen door weight of our 2009 172 is 2330#. That included every available factory option except risers. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of my model as stated on the sticker on the left front of the pod is 3179#, which means I can load 849# of stuff before I hit the maximum. This "maximum stuff" number is also printed on the door sticker.

I've noticed that the slide out models are hundreds of pounds heavier than our model. This must mean these models use a different axle than the Lippert model on my pod, and their GVWR must be higher than mine. True? I know they have a couple of axle suppliers.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>