Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 3:22pm
I bought my pod and did not even drive it home. I went to the highway weigh station. I pulled on the side and went to talk to the weigh master.

I asked him if he would weigh my trailer separately, and print out the results. He said ok, get back in line and watch the lights.

I pulled up until I got the red light. He then motioned me forward. Again I pulled on the side and he gave me the printout. I don't have it in front of me but the trailer axle was around 2750#

Story continues...

I then went home and unhitched the pod, I took a bathroom scale with 350# capacity and put it under the jack pole, I leveled the rig. It showed the tongue weight of 270#

So that put me a tad over 3000#. That was before any food, water, clothes, chairs, tables, were loaded. It also did not count for the passengers in the TV or all the extra stuff I piled in there.

Totally loaded, I was probably 3800# (I weigh 250++) DW is 125

All of this means is that you have a TV with 5000# rating, you are safe, if you have proper hitch connection and brake controller.

For those of you who have a 3500# rating, you can rationalize all you want, repair your transmission as often as you want, but the bottom line is that you are overloaded.

And if you go slow enough for short distances, you will probably have a great time, but if anything happens that involves an accident, you will be charged with contributory negligence if you are overloaded.

What matters is true weight... not what is printed on the screen door, or listed in specifications.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 3:50pm
Thanks so much for validating my and others thinking.  Remember the old adage, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."  Call me what you like but for me my safety and safety of others should be first and foremost in all of our towing situations.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Call me what you like but for me my safety and safety of others should be first and foremost in all of our towing situations.

I’ll just call you Camper Bob, but I respectfully disagree. I have a particular problem with suggestions and innuendo and outright claims that those who tow with an oversized TV are being considerate of others on the highway, while those who tow with marginal vehicles are not. If we’re lucky, most of us tow our campers about a dozen times a year; but, our TVs are typically used daily. Others always come out worse when they are involved in a collision with an oversized vehicle. Others have to breathe the air that our TVs foul. Others have to pay gas prices based on our demands at the pump. Others have to park around our TVs in parking ramps and lots. Others have to see around the view blocked by our TVs. Using an oversized TV sure doesn’t strike me to be considerate of others.

2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:35am

Thinker, I appreciate your information.  However, I find some of the numbers a bit surprising and not in line with our Pod which is a 171 also.  Ours, weighed off hitch and w/o our gear, came in at just over 2500#'s total ... I'm not sure how yours picked up 800# in weight from the dealer spec of 2205#.  I'm not saying that it didn't, just confused how it could be that much more.  We have also weighed ours fully loaded and it was below 3000#.  With a tow capacity on our TV of 3500# that puts us at better than the "recommended minimum" of 10% leeway.  I am by no means overloaded in towing my Pod, nor am I being negligent in doing so.

I also do not believe that having a bigger TV transcends immediately and to all into a safer towing environment.  Hitch, electric brake controls, and TV brakes all play a big part in that safety factor.  Driver education and driving style (defensively, leaving enough room between vehicles, mph speed in line with conditions, knowing when to pull over and take a break) are all very important factors as well. I have seen too many times to count, as we all have, large TV's pulling large trailers that are going 75 mph in a driving rainstorm, towing trailers with an incorrect hitch that are swaying from side-to-side, towing trailers and tailgating right on my butt with no room to spare. 

Bigger TV's do not make stupid drivers suddenly more safe ... it just makes them stupider and even more dangerous.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 9:06am
I also disagree with Camper Bob's and Thinker's comments.  I also have a 173 and I know that it's weight, even with the battery, propane and partial tank of fresh water, is considerable less than what his weighed.  Based on his "findings" no pod should be towed with a vehicle having a tow rating of only 3500#.  I chose the 173 because of its light weight.  trading in my old trailer weighing 800# more. 

I am always irritated when members make disparaging remarks about our smaller, but more than adequate, tow vehicles.  Like the big boys, I can tow at 75mph if I so choose, but I don't unless I don't keep an eye on my speedometer.  As for possible transmission damage, Hyundai guarantees the entire drive train for  100,000 miles, and my dealer has assured me that towing any trailer up to the tow limit will not void my warranty. 

I fully agree with the  comments made by the other posters.  I will refrain from adding any more of my thoughts for fear of sounding pompous and all-knowing.

Bob
(towing for 40 years)

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:20pm
My assertion isn't that using a smaller TV is bad/dangerous/will grow hair on your knuckles.

My personal assertion in all of the posts I make is it is dangerous to tow when your overall rig is over one of its many limits - axle ratings, GCVW, trailer limit, etc.  That is very easy to do with a 3500 pound towing limit.  I've been there - its your daily driver and you can't afford a larger TV.  Young kids with all the expenses that entails means you drive used minivans for 12 years (we had 'em from 2000 to 2012).  The other driver in the house gets to drive a manual Geo Metro for 6 1/2 years - with no air conditioning (I did that from 1996 to 2002), then gets a used Saturn, then a 1993 Caprice.  Took years of budgeting and scrimping to get a larger TV.  The kids certainly aren't getting cheaper.  Confused

So, go ahead and tow a 178 with a minivan, that by itself is safe.  If you weigh the rig, have it loaded properly, and have the usual safety gear then you are fine.  You will be within the various limits set by the manufacturer. 

Just don't ever - ever - tow it with the fresh water tank full and all your gear loaded up for 2 weeks at the beach.  There are just too many people who would load all the tanks to max, throw in the extra gear for the beach and think they are fine because the rig moves forward when they hit the gas.

Bigger TVs can be overloaded or improperly loaded, too.  I saw a full-sized pickup not long ago towing a double axle enclosed utility trailer.  No WDH.  The truck's nose was pointed to the clouds, I don't know how he saw the road at all.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:50pm
Ha, we're starting to sound like RV.Net--If you don't have a 3/4 ton diesel, then you shouldn't be towing anything. There are tons of smaller tow rigs that can do well towing a Pod. Will many of them struggle, yes, but if set up well, then they can do the job. Owners may have to be a little careful where they choose to tow--pulling elevation @ 35 mph on a 2 lane pass isn't just a problem for you , but also for the line of cars you're holding up. 3500lb tow rating? Set it up well, load it correctly, make sure your wheelbase is not overly short, and if you're satisfied, then OK.

I've thrown out some advice to people about tow rigs, but for the most part, no more. Hopefully the "weight police" (RV.Net term) on this site can do a better job than I have. Also, there ARE lots of full sized tow rigs that are overloaded, so it's not limited to us Podders. The U.S. puts out more lawyers than any other country--they have to have something to do!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 1:07pm
Ok.. I was wrong.. I mis-stated the weigh station numbers. Here is the correct copy of my weigh station visit..

Axle is 2460# and tongue was at 270# That totals at 2730#. But that does not include the cargo and passengers of the tow vehicle. So adding pots and pans and other personal items to the pod and a few things, maybe a generator to the TV you will still be at or very close to 3500#.

Where is the margin of safety factor? Do we run everything at max in our life?

If you don't care about safety, then care about comfort and the white-knuckle factor.. I just have a medium size SUV with a 5000# tow rating. I would consider that the minimum. I have had a diesel truck. I am not advocating that. I am only advocating what a sensible family might choose. I am old and have been towing for a bazillion years. But, there are new families on this forum that are making plans for the future and want honest information. I am being honest.

Also note that I have a 171, which is one of the lightest pods.. no slide, no garage..etc.

barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 1:33pm
The most important consideration is if you are towing with a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE you must use a WDH. Putting a trailer on the back removes weight from the TRACTION wheels. A WDH shifts the weight back to the front wheel drive axles. And of course water is about 8 lbs. per gallon so if you can do not tow water.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by barbanjoe

The most important consideration is if you are towing with a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE you must use a WDH. Putting a trailer on the back removes weight from the TRACTION wheels. A WDH shifts the weight back to the front wheel drive axles. And of course water is about 8 lbs. per gallon so if you can do not tow water.

Excellent point... I have 4WD drive, that operates normally in 2WD, or All Wheel Drive. I normally tow in AWD, which does use mostly front wheel drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>