Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:15pm
There's an easy solution to this debate.......everyone should have an F150!!!Big smile
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:29pm
First time out when the POD was brand new I weighed everything that went into the trailer, R-Dome, dishes, clothes, pots and pans, chairs, our outside table, water hoses everything that I added. The whole lot came to 410 pounds, then add 1 battery and propane. I don't see how I could even come close to the 1,200 pound load limit for the trailer. But that's me, I try to travel light. Goose
   PS. That 410 pounds also included a small floor jack, extra tools and our larger cooler with drinks and ice.   
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:50pm
Here's my question...does anyone tow with a Wrangler?

I've been trying to get info on towing a rpod with our Jeep. I have called everyone from the Pope to the maintenance man. They have told me the tongue weight is 3200# and I should be fine towing something that weighs 2800#. To clarify, this came from the service people and salesperson. Both agreed the stopping distance and fuel consumption would be greater, but the engine would be fine.
The rec weight is 2000#. Knowing this, I will say that I have friends that tow campers and ignore this paying attention to the max. They haven't experienced problems. They do only tow shorter diatances (100 or so milesone way).
I would appreciate solid advice. I plan on driving Miss Daisey when we go. Most places are going to be within 100 miles and in MI. Out west trips will probably involve a rented full size or getting a different vehicle.
Thanks!!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 4:57pm
If you read all the posts in this thread you will see the variety of opinion on this subject.

You have a couple of strikes against you with a Wrangler. You are low on capacity (3200# according to you) and the TV's short wheelbase. Some would tell you that you are putting yourself and others in danger using this vehicle. I am not that smart to make such a statement, but I will say you need a proper weight distribution hitch and anti sway protection. If you have a receiver that is not rated for at least 3500 pounds replace it with one that is. You must have a brake controller, and make sure the Pod is loaded lightly and tanks are drained. Be careful and go slow and the chance for trouble goes way down.

Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:08pm
I'm having the E2 distribution hitch installed prior to towing. No need to load the tanks since state parks have water hook ups. The extra few thinga will be loaded in the Jeep. The total weight of the pod is 2748. Jeep said it'd be fine, just drive slow. Still having the hitch installed.
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:16pm
A lot of folks use the towing guide, from which there is a link on the Forest River web site.  Not sure where the 3200 number is coming from, since the Towing Guide rates the Wrangler at 2000 lbs.  It would seem that 1200 lb deviation to the recommended tow weight would be significant, but as you say, some do it.

[/URL]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:42pm
That's without the weight distribution hitch. Wrangler are rated for 3200 with the hitch. Without, it's only 2000 max tongue weight.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:16pm

2000 pounds would be the towing capacity, not the tongue weight.  That's a separate rating which is usually 10% of the towing capacity.  According to jeep.com the towing capacity is only 2000 pounds, and then only if it has the options of Antilock Braking System, Electronic Stability Control, and Trailer Sway Control (all part of the trailer prep package).  I see no mention of max tongue weight rating anywhere.  http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/towing/ 

I'm sure the biggest factor is the short wheelbase.  Trailers will push you around the shorter the wheelbase.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:27pm
I just dug around a little more on a Jeep forum and from what I read the issue is the mounting of the hitch.  Its mounted on a weak cross-member which can't support a large tow weight.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:06pm
And this is where I run into problems. The dealerships say its no problem as long as you have the weight distribution hitch. That's what gives it the higher towing capacity. Otherwise its 2000. The rv place says the same as the dealership. I'll keep asking and hopefully find someone who has a Wrangler and is towing one. The dealership, All Seasons, said they have a lot of Jeeps towing them because the weight is low.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>