Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:20pm
That's what I just found also. Beats a lawsuit and having to explain why I need a new Jeep because the trans died! Although....
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:20pm
And, I have never seen a rental truck equipped with an electronic brake controller or a pod-compatible electrical connector.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:49pm
Ah, U-haul, didn't think about them.  If they allow towing then it should have a 7-pin Bargman.  Then all you need is a wireless Prodigy and you are golden. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:57pm
Camper Bob & Sue: From your posts we value your advice and opinion. QUESTION we have a 2014 BMW X6 x Drive 35i with a factory installed hitch and brake controller ( prodigy #2)  It is rated at 6,000lbs GVWR and a tongue of 600 lbs. We plan on purchasing a 182G. We think we should be fine. ...80 % of time will travel with 50% water. and when not will have a 2,000 Honda generator most likely stored in the rear "trunk".
Any advice, comments, suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:21pm
My experience with U-Haul is that their trucks have neither a Bargman connector or a brake controller.  They have only 3 wires at the bumper, all for light.  Nothing for brakes or for 12 volt power from the battery.  All of their trailers have hydraulic surge brakes, not electric.  I have no idea how trucks from other rental agencies are set up, but I imagine they are equipped the same. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:46pm
Is it a necessity to have a brake controller? Dealer didnt specify that.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:50pm
Nevermind. Called the dealer and was told not necessary, but why wouldn't you take advantage of it. I explained the situation. After a nice giggle, he told me that was one way to do it! Until we can find a TV we want, the Uhaul ghetto-fabulousness will do just fine.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:59pm
Ok, so they have the standard 4-pin connection.  That may almost be enough to cobble the wireless Prodigy to work - you'll just have to run a 12 volt line from the lighter/outlet to the rear and wire up a Bargeman to plug into the 4-pin connection and the 12 volt line.  Wouldn't be hard.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 6:03pm
That sounds like Swahili to me!! Lol.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by wingnut2312

Is it a necessity to have a brake controller? Dealer didnt specify that.

I suppose it depends on how you define necessary.  With your tow vehicle and the trailer you're talking about, a brake controller is as close to essential equipment as it gets.  I don't know if it's true, but I've heard brake controllers are required in some states for trailers over certain weights.  Maybe you are in a state that doesn't have that requirement and maybe that's why your dealer said it wasn't necessary.  Whether or not they are legally necessary, they are necessary for your safety and peace of mind.

I've towed trailers way over my tow capacity and done it without brakes.  It's doable.  There are also people who juggle running chainsaws.  Neither is something you want to do with your kids.  When I've towed overweight vehicles it was with extreme caution, a whole lot of stress, and for less than 20 miles.  Going down the interstate or in any kind of traffic the risks you are taking involve more liability and anxiety than most people would think wise. 

It seems like you are looking for a rationalization that will let you feel comfortable towing a pod with your Wrangler.  It really isn't meant to be.  Best I can see your Wrangler is rated 2000 pounds only when properly equipped.   Adding a weight distributing hitch doesn't help at all when you are driving up a long hill, and I don't understand how it adds, what are you saying, 1200 extra pounds of towing capacity?  You know the weight of the WDH itself counts against your towing capacity. 

It bothers me that you don't seem to understand the difference between towing capacity and tongue weight.  It makes me think you may not be asking the right questions or you may not understand the answers you are getting.  Your front wheels would be 4 feet off the ground if you put 2000 pounds on your hitch.

With the tv/trailer combination you are talking about, I'm confident that the safety issues and the potential liability and the extra attention you will be absolutely required to pay while driving will quickly be so stressful that you will not enjoy the experience.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>