Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 1:29am
TT. You got it.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 6:23am
So you've missed the section on we're going to rent a vehicle instead of using the Jeep? I stated that I believe the Jeep isn't going to work and we will be looking for a proper TV. I also stated that it's not worth risking it with the kids. The brake controller would not be necessary when towing it with a full size F-150 is what the dealer said.
In the future, please read the entire thread before questioning a persons intelligence. It's probably easier to realize that there is a lot of bad informationn out there clouding up the good. Asking questions is the way people wade through the b.s. and make the best decision.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 7:22am
State regulations generally state what towed vehicle must have a brake controller and it is controlled by weight. Just go to the State DMV site or FMCA has a state booklet.
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:05am
Originally posted by wingnut2312

So you've missed the section on we're going to rent a vehicle instead of using the Jeep? I stated that I believe the Jeep isn't going to work and we will be looking for a proper TV. I also stated that it's not worth risking it with the kids. The brake controller would not be necessary when towing it with a full size F-150 is what the dealer said.
In the future, please read the entire thread before questioning a persons intelligence. It's probably easier to realize that there is a lot of bad informationn out there clouding up the good. Asking questions is the way people wade through the b.s. and make the best decision.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Even with the F-150, I think that many of us would recommend you get familiar with the vehicle handling characteristics without your children, if you are going to go without a controller.  One of the common factors in many of your comments is that "the dealer said....".  While many dealers are good folks, one of the common factors on that side of the equation is that want to sell you a trailer, rent you a tv, etc.

I have found that this forum, on my time here, is very safety focused, especially in the area of towing, where many mishaps often occur with new campers.  It could be that that's why they are still around to make such suggestions.

There are a lot of good suggestions here from those who "have been there, done that".

[/URL]
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:16am
A couple of points. Most of the recent Ford F 150's come with a brake controller built in. More importantly is to see what your State requires towed vehicles to have a braking system....these are generally based on weight. It is also important from an insurance perspective as I am sure the sales person will not cover you in an accident when the insurance company refuses to pay because you did not have the required equipment or were overweight. JMO
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:36am
Whether or not it is required, I've been towing trailers (4000 pounds of mulch in a utility trailer, 3500 pound popups, pod) since 1988 and there is only one setup where I don't plug in my brake controller.  That's when the utility trailer is empty where it weighs about 500 pounds.  My TV is rated for 8000 pounds and I still plug in the brake controller if the utility trailer is only half-full.

Why?  Sway.  Engaging the brake controller is the only safe way to negate sway once anti-sway devices can't control it.  One of the contributing factors for sway is how a trailer is loaded and it's very easy to load a utility trailer or camper in a way which will induce sway.

Going with a U-haul pickup sounds like a good option for now - and depending on how many trips a year maybe cheaper than upgrading your current TV.  A quick cost-to-benefit analysis will tell you where your break-even is.  Look at the wireless Prodigy http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

Then figure out how to make it work with the U-haul pickup.  From the factory it is designed to just have the camper plug into the Prodigy control module mounted on the camper tongue.  Then the Prodigy plugs into the Bargeman outlet on the back of the TV.  Logically the Prodigy will need brake and turn signal inputs, ground, +12.  The 4-pin connector provides brake, turn, and ground, which is why I think you'll need to create a long wire you can plug into the vehicle's accessory outlet/lighter to provide the +12 (and an additional ground, which won't hurt).  The output of the 4-pin plug on the pickup and the wires from the outlet will need to be combined into a Bargeman outlet you can dangle from the rear of the pickup.  The Prodigy will then plug into that.  Oh, and the wireless control module that goes in the pickup will also need to plug in so you'll need a Y-splitter for the 12 volt accessory outlet.

This will give you a system you can plug in within 2 minutes once you get home and hitch up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:54am
Tech, definitely! We are only looking to rent the Uhaul for one trip this year. Outside of Lansing, Sleepy Hollow state park is surrounded by cider mills. They are really cool and the kids love them. The pod would let us stay warm and dry at night. It would only be for the weekend.
If I can connect the brake controller I will. I dont think you can mod the Uhauls, but plug and play could probably pass.
As I've said, I do appreciate all of the advice. I joined because you all know more about this than I do. I just don't appreciate demeaning statements when I'm trying to learn.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:29am
Wingnut2312:
Let me say I commend you for asking questions and seeking the advice of those who have been there. It's the way I learned and, probably, most others too. As you can see many of our opinions are strongly and loudly professed. Please credit this to enthusiasm, not animus. We all think we have the answer, some of us really do.

After following your conversations with your dealer I'm alarmed to see him in the business. From what I see he's gotten everything wrong and dangerously so. I'd suggest an immediate dealer transplant. BTW, MI requires independant brakes on trailers 3000# or greater Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). This is the sum of the empty trailer plus total allowable load. All versions of RPODs exceed this threshold.

Welcome to the forum and and I look forward to hearing of your adventures, with or without the orange UHaul. Smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:38am
Lol, hopefully more without than with. I have found that I can use a non-modifying brake controller. The Uhaul F-150's are "supposed" to be equipped. We shall see!!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:10am
The wireless Prodigy is the only one that would not modify the truck, if done as I suggested.  All the rest require 3 wires to be run to the brake controller and then it outputs 1 wire which must be run back to the 7-pin Bargeman.  Two of the 3 wires could be taken from a lighter/outlet, but the tricky one is the connection to the brake light wiring and there's no way to do that without finding the right wire and splicing into it.  You can't even tap that signal at the 4-pin connector at the back of the truck because that output also includes turn signals.  You would end up activating the brakes any time you made a left or right turn.  Confused

When you say the U-hauls are "equipped", do you mean with an integral brake controller as mentioned above?  If so, they must have a 7-pin Bargeman on the back and not a 4-pin connection.  No 7-pin, no brakes, even if the controller is in the dash.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>