R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgas vs electric water heater question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas vs electric water heater question
    Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 3:47pm
I am using water heater with gas. If I want to use the water heater as electric, do I flip the switch in the water heater compartment to ON?? Will that automatically turn the gas off to the water heater and have it use electric?

Thanks
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 3:54pm
For electric, yes flip switch to on in the water heater compartment area outside the pod.  This will not however automatically switch gas to off.  That needs to be done inside the pod by the door (or at least that is where my switch is).  I have read numerous podders using both electric and gas for their hot water haeters at the same time to increase haeting power.  Personally, I do not find that necessary. My water gets plenty hot with one or the other.   Hope this helps.  hogone 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 3:56pm
obviously I can't spell heaters or heating!!Embarrassed
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:02pm
No big deal using both at the same time, if you need to get several showers in quickly (family getting ready in the morning), it will "recharge" faster with both on.  Plus the electric thermostat is set slightly higher than the gas thermostat, so the electric will maintain the temperature through the day w/o using up any propane to do the job.  The gas side provides more heat than the electric side, while running.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Fluffy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:04pm
Thanks so much. Your answer made it really clear what to do. Since I have you on the line.....

How do people winter camp with water? I would guess that I would have to dump all the water out of all the undercarriage tanks, and the water heater,  so they don't freeze. Is this so? 

Thanks in advance-

hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 4:28pm
I have camped safely thus far to 28 degress(that was the low, it did warm up during the day time however) with water in my tanks.  Obviously had it toasty warm in the pod!!!!  Beyond that, I would not personally advise as I have no experience with water in the tanks below that.  When it's colder and pod is winterized, I just carry water along in my 7 gallon container. 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:42pm
Wow, I hate to admit it, but I didn't know this, I need to find my gas shut-off.

Thanks.
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
Wait...just realized the answer.  I need to turn the heater switch on inside, not turn off gas...DOH!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Fluffy

How do people winter camp with water? I would guess that I would have to dump all the water out of all the undercarriage tanks, and the water heater,  so they don't freeze. Is this so? 

Thanks in advance-

Rpod plumbing is not made for cold weather camping.  The camper itself is great shelter in cold weather though.  A little electric space heater if you have electricity is all you need to keep warm.  Otherwise the propane furnace will cycle off and on several times a night and wake you up every time it comes on.  It is loud.  Other than forgetting about onboard water, or even hookup water, which will probably be turned off for the winter at most campgrounds anyway, the pod is way better than a tent in cold weather camper in my opinion. 

My pipes started freezing at about 27 or so.  Most of the plumbing is outside or on the edge of the heated space, and it's up in the air, so the pipes are very susceptible to quick freezing.

Search for a thread on winterizing the plumbing.  There is a bit of a process and it involves RV antifreeze.

TT
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 9:27pm

I recommend winterizing once the temps start dropping more than 2-3 degrees below freezing for more than a few hours each night.   

I've been winter camping a few times (a few of us get together in January in mid-PA), but it really helps that the campground has a heated bathroom.  In the pod I keep a gallon of water in a jug for toothbrushing and catch any water in a dish pan in the sink.  That gets chucked into the bushes.  I only use the toilet in the middle of the night and keep a jug of RV antifreeze in there to flush with.  Since the sites have electric I use a small electric heater as Tars mentioned.  While the pods aren't designed for winter use they are highly insulated so they stay very toasty - you just can't use the plumbing.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>