Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNot So Newbie Anymore - Event Date: 12 Aug 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Not So Newbie Anymore
    Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 11:18am
My wife and I bought a new, 2013 RP177 R-pod a few months ago and have just completed our third camping trip.  They were not long trips, mind you, from one end of Florida to the other (around 600 miles for each) yet long enough for good shake downs.

We did quell our worst worry and that was the ability of our 2007 Toyota Tacoma to adequately tow our new camper.  It pulled our Aliner nicely even through steep mountains, but it was over a thousand pounds less than the R-pod.  As it turned out the Taco pulled the RP177 just fine as long as we did not use the truck's overdrive feature.  Using overdrive in hills made it too shifty, constantly downshifting to lower gears.  Otherwise, we did very nicely averaging 15 mpg at an average of 60 mph.  Oh yeah, our Tacoma has the four-cylinder 2.7 engine, and yes, I did add an external transmission oil cooler to the front of the radiator.

The best ride, economy, and stability seemed to be when the Taco and camper were completely level with each other.  For us the ball height needed to be exactly 18 inches from the ground (our R-pod has the risers) and it made a straight line from one end of the rig to the other on a level surface.  The dealer recommended and installed a friction sway bar unit which seemed to do the job.  In all the driving, even in gusty wind did we ever experience any sway going down the highway.

Thanks to this forum I learned a few tricks and incorporated them into our new R-pod with some modifications and a few more mods of our own.  Here's some you might like:

1. We added a closet, wire type shelf over the dinette table which was very easy.  The lightweight shelf simply rests on the venetian blind valances over the two side windows.  I used one fastener at the front of the camper wall to stop the shelf from moving when travelling.  The best part about the wire shelf was it did not disrupt the lighting over the table and kept our dry food stuff from our two shelties.  It also made a good place to store our clothes, etc. ready for the next day--a good clutter preventer.

2. At the Dollars Store we bought two plastic door-hanger-style clothes hooks to put on the ends of the spice rack above the microwave.  On one we hung a Publix, cloth shopping bag for chips, bread, etc., and on the other end we hung our pot holders and dish towel (good access from the stove and sink).

3. I read where some R-pod owners made covers for their stove tops for extra counter space and I did, too, but made mine from a lexxan cutting board by simply screwing door stoppers for legs on each corner of the board.  The white lexxan and white legs made it look professionally made for the camper, and with the rubber feet could even be left over the stove top when travelling.

4. An inexpensive 15" X 19" wall mirror worked very nicely on the outside bathroom door and it even came with the hardware to install it.  For good measure when putting it up I used a little liquid silicone in the center between the door and mirror back to insure it would not move around in the clips.  I don't think it is going anywhere on the roughest of roads.

5. The loop on the shower hose had to go.  Never could figure why it was there in the first place.  All it did was stop me and my wife from rinsing the parts of our bodies that needing rinsing the most.  Anyway, to utilize the holes already in the wall I installed a wire-style soap dish which not only holds a bar of soap but our toothbrushes and razors, too.  On the wall between the mesh, bag-type shelves I installed a (matching with the soap dish) vertical toilet paper holder.  Life is good now in our R-pod.

We added a few more mods not mentioned here but I can see my post is getting a little wordy.  Hopefully I will hear from some of you the nifty little things you did with your R-pod.  Even though we don't consider ourselves total newbies anymore, we are always open for new ideas.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 11:22am
Welcome.  I would consider a 600 mile trip a "long trip".  :-)
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 1:42pm
Six hundred miles round trip for us is rather short.  We like camping in the Smoky Mountains which puts Tennessee and the Carolina's much further away.  My wife intends to retire soon and when she does we will travel out west.

I forgot to mention I added stiffeners to the rear leaf springs on the Tacoma which stopped the sag when the R-pod is hitched.  The great part is, with the Taco, I can easily reach over the bed sides to retrieve items out of the back unlike the full size pickup truck beds, and the gas mileage is 25-27 mpg average when not towing.
LAllers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 9:20pm
Wow you have been busy. I have just started doing some modifications to my 2014 182G. The first thing that had to go was the brown valance over my kitchen window. Yuck. Unhappy. I also added a soap dispenser that holds 3 products. I have more changes to come.

Lorraine and Bills Traveling Frog
Dewdrop Inn 182G
2013 GMC Sierra
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:59am
Ah, yes, the blinds.  I did not think about the one over the sink and stove area but I can see why you took yours out, or did you?  Did you leave the blinds and just remove the valance?

I think eventually all the blinds will have to go in our Pod, especially the one at the end of the bed. A couple of the slats are already bent from hitting my head on them when laying down.  Then, too, they are a pain when trying to watch the little TV as you have a tendency to prop your head up on pillows which are then against the blinds.  My wife says she would eventually like to make curtains to replace them.

Tom & Gloria
Port Charlotte, FL
2013 - 177 Pod, 2007 Taco TV
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:03am
  Tom and Gloria perhaps sometime we will see each other camping in SW Florida. We live not far from you we are in Fort Myers near I-75.    David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

LAllers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:41am
Tom & Gloria, I have only replaced the valance in the kitchen. I do plan to replace the ones in the sleeping area soon.
Wish I new how to post pictures.
Lorraine and Bills Traveling Frog
Dewdrop Inn 182G
2013 GMC Sierra
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:16pm
Welcome to all.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:49pm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Ivinest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 3:00pm
Dave, Danette:  It is a very small world and pods are not that hard to spot.  When we had the Aliner we met people we knew from other campsites just because of the style of camper.  We have only had our pod a little over three months but already we have seen a few on the road--none in Florida parks yet.  But when we do spot one we will assuredly make it a point to introduce ourselves to the owners.

Lorraine, Bill:  I'm no computer wiz but I will post a link to a picture of our pod and tow vehicle.  I think first you have to have your picture posted somewhere online like Flikr--or uploaded to this website for it to show automatically.   Maybe Mother Goose can give us a quick tutorial.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n734xr/9504962906/

Tom & Gloria
Port Charlotte, FL
2013 - 177 Pod, 2007 Taco TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>