Topic ClosedAlaska

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska
    Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 8:00am
You may want to check.  I have never heard of any of my friends having trouble and some of them are pistol hunters.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 8:20am
To bring a rifle or shotgun across the border basically requires you fill out a form, pay a fee and declare it as you cross the border. The problem would be trying to bring a handgun across.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 8:45am
Husband wanted to bring his handgun, but instead we brought bear spray. Had a great range and will deter any animal or human threatening us. Not a problem at any border. He didn't have to use it, but gave him peace of mind.
Jan and Dean
2014 178
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:26am
On the subject of handguns moving through Canada, thanks to all who replied.  The bear repellent sounds promising; various articles I've seen seem to bear that out.  (Sorry, couldn't resist LOL). But my main interest in handguns is in repelling the two-legged variety of predators.

Thanks again ..
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Norsk1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 11:13pm
I and my wife are just returning from a round trip to Alaska with our 2010 177, R-pod. Try to take a hand gun into Canada will not end well. Stick with bear spray. The trip is great and will be long remembered.
Ron
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Leo B

We hope to in the next few years. Some people we know did it by taking the big Ferry boat out of Washington up to alaska then toured arouind in their camper and took the ferry back down to the states. Saves some serious driving and Canadian (sorry) gas prices.

We got a quote for a 35 hr ferry ride from the Seattle area to Ketchikan, nearest point in Alaska they went to- for the r-pod and a Toyota FJC it was $4400 round tripShocked   And that was without a cabin- if you want that it is roughly another $500.  And NO they won't let you stay in your r-pod.
Other catch was they say it is booked up by Feb for summer travel.
We wanted to go on our 30 day out west trip we just returned from but decline to pay that kind of money for the ferry.

Still trying to figure out what to do about the pesky Canadian handgun laws....wife and I both carry 100% of the time where we are allowed, which is most states.  I could agree to not taking handguns into Canada, taking the trusty 12 gauge for that portion of the trip, but the big question is what do you do with them in the meantime so you have them when you return?
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Budward

/ .. Snipped to here: /

Still trying to figure out what to do about the pesky Canadian handgun laws....wife and I both carry 100% of the time where we are allowed, which is most states.  I could agree to not taking handguns into Canada, taking the trusty 12 gauge for that portion of the trip, but the big question is what do you do with them in the meantime so you have them when you return?

Have done a little checking on this handgun problem (not to be taken as gospel, of course):
1) Handguns shorter than 4" barrels are prohibited.  Cannot legally enter Canada.
2) Barrel lengths 4" and longer are "restricted".  With a form + fee, such a handgun may enter the country.
3) There evidently are places on the US side where handguns can be stored and then picked up when the owner returns to the US.  (Gun stores?  Bank safety deposit boxes?  Further checking needed.)
4) Crating & shipping to/from Alaska is also an option.  Sure could be a royal pain, tho.  IMO

As Bud says, the 12 ga might be the simplest alternative.  But I'm pretty sure that even that alternative means forms to fill out.

Nothing's easy, is it?  Ouch
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 1:39pm
I was going to say, mail it to yourself in AK (option 4).  Not sure if you can send it to General Delivery, though, or what paperwork may be required.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 2:45pm
Unfortunately a common person cannot mail a handgun-
From the BATF -

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 2:47pm
My nephew in Alaska inherited a handgun from his grandfather here in the lower 48 and the only way it could be shipped is from one gun store here in lower 48 to ship it to another licensed gun store in Alaska...
Jan and Dean
2014 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>