R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMicowave Convection Oven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micowave Convection Oven
    Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
First of all I would like to thank all who responded to my earlier posts on "age of poders" and "cost of insurance". Now another one. Can anyone offer feedback on the convection microwave oven. Do you use it, is it any good, any shortcomings? We are about two weeks away from the 178 and can't wait. Thanks.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:01pm
Love it, use if often, make most anything we make at home in the oven without much of a change in cooking time or temp.

That being said, I think it helps if you can cook by knowing something is done versus a true time.  Seems a lot of ovens vary.

A lot of us will recommend getting to know your oven by making chocolate chip cookies.  The store bought fridge rolls work great.  It's an easy test of your ovens true temp and cooking time.  Besides that no one ever minds a slightly over cooked chocolate chip cookie.  And if it's under cooked then you just learned a bit about your oven's temp and you can dial in on that setting.

Other than that, always use the little raised metal table that comes in it.  As you likely know that allows the convection to work by letting the air up and underneath what you're making.  That's not to say you have to use it, but then especially we've had to change cooking times dramatically.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:10pm
We use the microwave all the time, but have only used the convection option to roast pumpkin seeds.  We attend a big Halloween fest every year and carve our pumpkins after we get there - and I love roasted seeds with oil and salt.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by techntrek

We use the microwave all the time, but have only used the convection option to roast pumpkin seeds.  We attend a big Halloween fest every year and carve our pumpkins after we get there - and I love roasted seeds with oil and salt.  

Okay gotta hijack this one for a minute.  Seed, oil/salt ratio along with time and temp please!  We do our pumpkins on several Halloween weekends.  Have to try that one!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:45pm
My wife says the convection microwave is one of the best things about the Pod.  she bakes in the convection oven just like at home.  We also use the microwave as a normal microwave.  both functions work as they are supposed to as long as you are hooked to shore power.

It's so good that it is going to cost me money--now we have to get a convection microwave for our home!!!
Vann
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:48pm
Clean them well, pat dry with paper towels.  Coat with oil and spread flat on a cookie sheet (at home) or oven-safe plate (for the pod).  Salt to taste.  I always forget the exact temp/time but I think around 300-325 for 15-20 minutes. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:53pm

Travel trailers are called the "dark side" because they don't have tenting (except the hybrids of course), and since they often have ovens I've often heard:

Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 10:04pm
  We too use the microwave often the convection option we use the pizza button for frozen pizza's. Would be nice to have a oven at times for somethings but what we have works great.    David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 10:12pm
KyMooses summed it up perfectly. Use the convection the same as your home oven, watch closely at first as the convection fan circulates the air and tends to make the temps more even overall.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by techntrek

Clean them well, pat dry with paper towels.  Coat with oil and spread flat on a cookie sheet (at home) or oven-safe plate (for the pod).  Salt to taste.  I always forget the exact temp/time but I think around 300-325 for 15-20 minutes. 

Took me 10 minutes to realize what it was you were talking about.  Got it now, thanks for the info.  Can't wait to do some test runs this Halloween season!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>