R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack water tank probes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black water tank probes
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by furpod

My dad has been rv'ing for nearly 40 years. He says, and I quote, "when you see poop in the pipe, she's full"..

They have had everything from a VW Westfallia to a 53' DP. He says NO ONE makes a gauge that is 100% reliable. 

That is about the same time my wife, 3 kids and I began.  What pipe is he referring to?
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

My dad has been rv'ing for nearly 40 years. He says, and I quote, "when you see poop in the pipe, she's full"..

They have had everything from a VW Westfallia to a 53' DP. He says NO ONE makes a gauge that is 100% reliable. 

That is about the same time my wife, 3 kids and I began.  What pipe is he referring to?

the one you "see" when you flush..

LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:15pm

My dad has been rv'ing for nearly 40 years. He says, and I quote, "when you see poop in the pipe, she's full"...

True!  When you see it at the bottom of the pipe when you flush you have about 2 more flushes before you are in deep .... stuff.

No early indicator for the gray tank, if the shower stops draining the gray tank is definitely full.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:11am
Originally posted by techntrek

My dad has been rv'ing for nearly 40 years. He says, and I quote, "when you see poop in the pipe, she's full"...

True!  When you see it at the bottom of the pipe when you flush you have about 2 more flushes before you are in deep .... stuff.

No early indicator for the gray tank, if the shower stops draining the gray tank is definitely full.

Our first time out, the DW showered like she was at home.  Used all the hot water several days in a row and complained that we didn't have enough hot water.  I think it was the 3rd day but she started yelling that the shower was filling up with water and what should she do!

Shortly after is when I discovered my garage sink drains into the black tank and I started taking pipe apart in the outside storage compartments trying to find a clog, only to upsettingly and rather disgustingly realize my black tank was also full!

DeadDeadDeadDead
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:54am
all of this is making us feel pretty good about our No #2 decision, unless it is a complete emergency!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 9:11am
Originally posted by P&M

all of this is making us feel pretty good about our No #2 decision, unless it is a complete emergency!

BAH, total "waste" to save it for emergencies.. Once you use it.. it's yours. (edit.. I mean this as a joke.. but fear it sounds snarky.. )

LOL

With it just being the two of us, we go a week or better on the black tank. Generally 3 days on the gray if we have hookups, week or better if we don't. It's all about shower time.. lol

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by P&M

Its all about volume - it ain't the #2 that takes up all the room in the black tank, so go ahead and "just do it".  Just make sure you turn the fan on.  LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:28pm

With it just being the two of us, we go a week or better on the black tank. Generally 3 days on the gray if we have hookups, week or better if we don't. It's all about shower time.. lol

Yup, showers are the bane of all gray tanks.  Except when you have hookups - its ok to leave the gray tank open when you are hooked up.  Its the black tank you need to keep closed until its full.

At least w/o hookups the gray tank can't be any more full than the full contents of the fresh tank.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:40am
One of the less expensive and really helpful thing we have purchasd was a clear acryllic 8" extension for the black/gray water dumps. Not a pretty sight, watching it empty, but you know when you're running clear. We have also gotten in the habit of going inside the Pod during the dump and putting a gallon or more water down the toilet. Final touch is a gallon bucket with the blue stuff in it. Keeps odor down and makes for a little sloshing as we drive, which helps keep the sensors clear.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 10:45am
Many of us use a Hydroflush, which is clear but also allows you to flush the inside of the tank with a strong stream of water.  I am still using the one I purchased during my motor home days and it still works great.  After the tank is flushed, you close the dump valve, turn on the Hydroflush and it then flushes out your sewer hose, then you dump your grey water the same way.  Available at Walmart, Camping World, etc.

I have never had a grey or black water sensor go bad using this little gadget.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>