R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-Dome Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-Dome Revisited
    Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 9:56am
Originally posted by sammycamper

Originally posted by Footloosejake

I just received my "New" 2011 R pod 171 and my "R-Dome" a couple wks ago and now have tried to put up the Dome. I find the bead on the dome is stopped by the screw heads and the channel is cutting the bead of nylon and really will and should not go.
     I see you had some problem as well and wondered what size screws you used and any other suggestions you might have.
So far, I've just worked the bead past the original screw heads. It gets aggravating, but I haven't taken the time to replace the screws with flatter heads. I recall a post from another member who replaced the original screws with stainless steel flatheads. I did file the ends of the channel to reduce cutting into the bead.

Sam
On my 2009 Rpod the Screw size used was 1" #6 screws (non stainless steel so they rusted) I replaced with 1" #6 Flat head Screws that are stainless.  You will need to smooth the areas where the screws mess up the track.  Takes several hours to do but makes it work.
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 5:56pm
Thanks, rpodcamper.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 9:35pm
 Agree with rpodcamper.com.  Replaced the screws, filed the ends and put a hard piece on the ends to pull with a piece of rope and the dome goes up in a flash.  With risers on the Pod, I made a pair of 8x8x4 blocks to raise the ends of the outer pole and the dome goes up evenly.  We then used the stick- on 2" Velcro sewn on the dome and stuck on the pod to fix the outer side flaps.  Works great!
We don't put up the dome when the fire pit is too close, otherwise it is part of the campsite.

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:04pm
We've done six trips so far mostly 3-4 days each. Haven't used the dome yet. If it's nice out, we're outdoors, if not, the 177 has plenty of room for us. Just using a 12x12 EZ up over the picnic table to keep droppings off.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
EmptyNesters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:19pm
I love the R-dome, we keep our Yeti in it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:39am

You have a big hairy snow-loving mythical creature for a pet?  Wink

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bnmelvin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:42am
Zag, I've successfully done exactly what you describe here - a standard tarp, secured to the channel and supported by extendable tent poles on the far side (with a few guylines to keep it from blowing away).  It works fantastic - turns out a hex-head carriage bolt fits exactly in the channel.  the bolt slides in threads facing away from the camper, put on a 1.5" washer, run it through one of the grommets on the tarp, 1.5" washer on the other side, and top it off with a wing-nut.   I'll try to get sizes when I get back to camp later today.  did the job for all of ~$10, and you can even leave the hardware attached to the tarp for next time as the heads just slide in the track.

-Bryan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:12am
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of using bolts in the track.  Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by bnmelvin

Zag, I've successfully done exactly what you describe here - a standard tarp, secured to the channel and supported by extendable tent poles on the far side (with a few guylines to keep it from blowing away).  It works fantastic - turns out a hex-head carriage bolt fits exactly in the channel.  the bolt slides in threads facing away from the camper, put on a 1.5" washer, run it through one of the grommets on the tarp, 1.5" washer on the other side, and top it off with a wing-nut.   I'll try to get sizes when I get back to camp later today.  did the job for all of ~$10, and you can even leave the hardware attached to the tarp for next time as the heads just slide in the track.

-Bryan

Are you perchance a woodworker? This is kind of a standard practice for jig construction and work table hold downs.
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:36pm
Thanks Bryan,that sounds even better than I was thinking of doing. With the wet west coast camping we do this will be a great mod for us.
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>