R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-Dome Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-Dome Revisited
    Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:58am
After initially being extremely unhappy with the fit of the r-dome, we have worked with it and are now very pleased with it. We use a lot of clothes pin like clips to seal it up. We don't have the problem with the screws on the top channel, however we have it on the bottom...as we slide the screening on the bottom a second person has to pull on it to get pas the screws. We had to cut it so it didn't lay over the steps....it was a hazard. I'm sitting in mine as I write this, at the KOA in Gettysburg, PA!!
Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 11:00am
I forgot to mention that last weekend my daughter had a friend join us and they slept in the r-dome. We put a tarp down and they slept on air mattresses. Nice! Next season....indoor/outdoor carpeting!
Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 2:04pm
   The tarp idea using bolts is a great idea, easy and simple. I have the poles and stainless steel bolts and washers and perhaps a tarp somewhere.  Thank you  David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

koukla1812 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 5:20pm
Hello Sam. Just read your review of the R-dome and I wanted to 2nd most of what you say but with one exception. I really do believe that the Dome is quite simple to set up. We've had our 2014 - 177 since mid summer and camped 3 weekends (3-4 days each) and after the 1st time set up and nervous excitement experience, it has become a "snap". Our weather was mixed. We weathered a couple of thunder storms but not gale force winds to date. Everything remained dry and in place. We are so impressed with the ease of set up, the amazing extra space it adds and its stability/durability capacity that we were thinking about writing and complimenting Dometic on its design. We've had some difficult experience with a Dometic add on with our last pop up and there is no comparison (yes for tracks, boo for zippers and clamps on the main structure).

I've noticed that some people attach the side of the Dome to the side of the Pod instead of both ends. I don't know if this is unique to the 177 but it seems obvious that it is designed for the ends. If not, you block entrance to the storage compartment and don't get as good a seal. We also have had no problems with the suction cups to date. Maybe it's our good old Quebecois spit that works well.

Your photo is beautiful. Of course we mean in the eyes of the beholders (ours!). Some eyes find this wierd overgrown contraption a bit Martian when first seen. I always invite the curious in to see the space we have and the Pod in general and I'm sure people leave with really positive feelings about the alien invader. I think many of us deserve sales commissions from Forest River for the free ads we provide. Yes, they took some cheap shortcuts and there are missing possibilities (12v plug, storage under 2nd bench, battery shut off etc.) but as others have mentioned, its a ploy to leave a few mods to occupy us DIY types during the time we can't camp.

Happy future doming, podding and camping in general.

Paul & FrancineSmile

PJ
The Pod Couple View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 6:33pm
My husband and I are still debating whether to purchase the r-Dome or not. It seems like it could add some seriously useful living space! I appreciate everyone posting their thoughts and experiences!
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:19pm
We've used our dome quite a few times. Three weeks ago we had it up while in the mountains, and it survived a 2" hail storm followed by two hours of heavy rain. Everything stayed dry. We were impressed. We are still working on ways to better bug-proof - the pesky things have a couple of entrance routes. Only draw back is that some commercial campgrounds are too narrow to set it up. We purchased a visor back in March, and we also get good use out of it, especially for short stays or narrow campsites. We think the investment was well worth it for both items.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:57pm
Topjimmy, koukla and all, I forget who told me this.  But all thanks go to him... It use to take the both of us a little while to slide in the bottom screening.  1: don't cut any excess off the lenght of the bottom screen. 2: After cutting the horizontal slice for the step, find out where the bottom screen is in relation to the axle and cut the screen right through just in front of the axle.  Making 2 pieces one long one from the axle to the front of the pod, and one short one from the back of the pod to the axle. 3: Now with the long piece on the track, run the shorter piece into the track far enough so that it over laps the longer front piece.  Mark where the axle is and cut a vertical slice in the screening so it falls over the axle. 4:  It now will take you seconds to put the bottom track on. 5:  The excess screening at the ends of the trailer can be turned in to the inside of the dome to help keep bugs out.  This is one mod that really helps speed up putting the dome up.. Which by the way we use everytime we stay anywhere longer than one night.  Smile
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Ridgepod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 7:14pm
We don't own a r-dome yet but are really wanting one after reading all the rave reviews. This is my first post and have really enjoyed reading all the posts. Especially ideas and tips. We have owned our 171 R-Pod for a year now and just love it. What I am wondering is how much the dome costs in the U.S. Here in Canada my dealer quoted me $1,000. This sounds incredibly expensive to me and pretty much unattainable at this point. Our last camping trip out we asked a young couple who had one set up and they said theirs was included with the pod so had no idea and it was their first time out and loved it as well.
I right on the border so I could get one in the U.S. if it is more affordable.
Karen & Roger
Sadie our special canine
2012 Santa Fe
2012 171 R-Pod
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 7:28pm
I would check eBay.  At least two dealers have them for $199 and shipping is reasonable.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 7:48pm
Welcome.  Even accounting for the usual price jump north of the border, 1 grand is excessive.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>