R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-Dome Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-Dome Revisited
    Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:01pm
coopercdrkey, what are you using for the screen along the back - at the pod's lower edge?  we have dogs and are trying to figure out something that will keep them in the R-dome...?
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:20pm
Crates will keep your dogs in when you're away. See the picture in my initial post.

Even with risers, I'm surprised the screening skirt doesn't reach the ground. Ours seems quite generous. Should be close enough to discourage casual dog traffic when you're with them.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:04pm
The screen panel was a component piece of our R-Dome kit.  It has a welt that slides into a 'c' channel ala
the 'Dome itself.  It was pretty tricky the first time I tried to instal it due to the wire conduit covers that 
serve the running lights on the fender.  You have to yank the leading edge of the screen past them and
back into the 'c' channel on the forward side.

Then three slits are required-  one to accommodate the axel, and two for the entry steps.  Cut them just
deep enough for clearance and end up with a flap that goes behind the step and hangs back down with the
rest of the panel.

I don't know if you can see from the picture, but I installed a series of grommets along the bottom hem to
stake the panel down and make it more 'escape proof'.  That and good staking of the R-Dome keeps a good
dog good, but in no way results in a space where they can be left unsupervised.  They are very resourceful!

(It also is insufficient to keep the raccoon out at night.....   You still have to take your nightly stroll to the
dumpster.)

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
2PeasNRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 6:29am
Lots of comments on the R-dome working for some but not others. Not all comments indicate what model, year and with/without risers. We have a 2014 178 with risers. R-dome or no R-dome?  We've looked at other screen rooms but keep coming back to the R-dome.
Count down is on. First trip in 2 weeks.  We are pretty new to the camper scene. Backing it up - shew.  Took us about 30 min to get it crooked. I'm sure well be come pros. Otherwise we sit in it every night and talk about plans. Any opinions are welcome on the R-dome. 
Mimi
Brett - Pea #1
Mimi - Pea #2
2014 178
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:37am
The pertinent question, for which I have no answer, is whether or not Dometic has made an R-Dome
specifically for the 178.  If so, you should have no fitting problems, risers or not.

Our 'Dome was stitched up for a 'Pod without risers, I think, because when centered in the 'c' channel, it
hangs about 2" off the ground.  This is no problem since there is a very generous rain flap.  We just stake
it down with the elastic loops, and life is good.  We don't use the suction cups.

If a 177 dome is used on a 178, there may be more of a gap at ground level-  I don't know-  but the 
combination of 2" or so greater length and risers will definitely have some effect.  Probably not enough to
discourage you, since we feel that the benefits of the R-Dome are, as the saying goes, "priceless".
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:39am
Originally posted by 2PeasNRPod

Lots of comments on the R-dome working for some but not others. Not all comments indicate what model, year and with/without risers. We have a 2014 178 with risers. R-dome or no R-dome?  We've looked at other screen rooms but keep coming back to the R-dome.
Count down is on. First trip in 2 weeks.  We are pretty new to the camper scene. Backing it up - shew.  Took us about 30 min to get it crooked. I'm sure well be come pros. Otherwise we sit in it every night and talk about plans. Any opinions are welcome on the R-dome. 

The r-dome "works" with all pods. With risers, it is a little more sensitive to how level the area on the dome side of the pod is.

Many people don't like/use the dome for reasons other than fit. It's either to hard for them to put up, or takes up to much room when stored, or they want to be as "outside" as possible.. etc, etc.

We don't camp without it.

Unfortunately, only you can decide if it's for you.Wink
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:48am
Try taking your pod to the local school parking lot after-hours for practice. 

1. This works for some - grab the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and move your hand left if you want the trailer to go left, right if you want the trailer to go right.  The steering wheel will turn the right and your TV will go right when you move your hand to the left - but the trailer will go left.  But you don't have to think about any of that which is why the trick works. 

2. Make very small turns on the steering wheel, the trailer will amplify everything you do. 

3. Sometimes you just need to pull forward a few feet to strighten things out and then start back again, instead of trying to make bigger and bigger corrections while you are still going backwards.

4. Never take your eyes off of your mirrors.  The second you do, you will jackknife.  Again, the trailer amplifys everything you do so it will go from a slight angle to a 90 degree angle with just a few feet of motion if you don't pay attention.

5. Always have your spotter stay near the camper's left or right rear corner, whichever side is the one you can see with your side mirror.  Never behind where you could run over them but far enough behind that they can see everything back there.  Backing campers are magnets for kids, dogs and picnic tables.  Yes, picnic tables will magically move while you are backing your camper!  My biggest rule for spotters - if they disappear from your side mirror you don't let your foot off of the break until they reappear in one of your side mirrors, no matter how much they keep yelling "c'mon back".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by coopercdrkey

The pertinent question, for which I have no answer, is whether or not Dometic has made an R-Dome
specifically for the 178.  If so, you should have no fitting problems, risers or not.

That brings up an interesting question.  I have been requesting prices for a new 178 and most of the dealers are now including an R-Dome as part of their package.  I am not particularly fond of these so-called packages, but it makes me believe that these domes are suitable for the 178 model.  Has anyone purchased a 178 with the dome included, and did the dome extend all the way to the ground?

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Sleepless

Originally posted by coopercdrkey

That brings up an interesting question.  I have been requesting prices for a new 178 and most of the dealers are now including an R-Dome as part of their package.  I am not particularly fond of these so-called packages, but it makes me believe that these domes are suitable for the 178 model.  Has anyone purchased a 178 with the dome included, and did the dome extend all the way to the ground?

Bob

Dometic is not currently making one long enough at the Pod side so that a Pod with risers will have it fit perfectly....YET!

As others have said, with the current domes it will be affected by the campsite you are at.  I've had mine be close to okay, and I've had it be where the rain flaps don't even touch the ground at times. Good stakes and bungee cords fix that decently well.
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 9:23am
2012 RP-171 with risers ... have no problem with the dome reaching the ground unless that side of the pod is sloping away and/or drops off.  On level ground the dome reaches the ground at all 4 corner points.

Like FurPod we don't camp without it, because it gives us so much more covered room to setup in (couple of chairs, table, dog crate, etc) once we are in our site.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>