R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-Dome Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-Dome Revisited
    Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 11:31am
I just bought a 2014 178 with the R-Dome included (east coast pod version).  My brother picked it up for me yesterday, and we're driving to Lincoln, NE, to meet each other next week.  When I get it home to Utah, I'll set up the R-Dome and report back...
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
2PeasNRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 11:46am
Thanks everyone for the replies. Great info on the Rdome, backing up tips especially!
Mimi
Brett - Pea #1
Mimi - Pea #2
2014 178
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by SchipperPod

I just bought a 2014 178 with the R-Dome included (east coast pod version).  My brother picked it up for me yesterday, and we're driving to Lincoln, NE, to meet each other next week.  When I get it home to Utah, I'll set up the R-Dome and report back...

Thank you.  I believe you bought yours from the same dealer in Ohio where I plan to purchase ours.  We will have to sell our 2010 173 first.  The dealer and I agreed that it will be best to sell it here in Florida since prices are higher here.  I am very curious about if the R-dome will fit properly.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
koukla1812 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 2:07pm
Really surprised about problems with Dome touching ground. We have used ours all summer with varying sites and never had a problem with ground contact between the black base and the ground. We have a 2014 177 with risers. The black base of our Dome is about 10 inches wide and allows for lots of contact.Maybe they are made in different sizes. Maybe lowering the front arc will give more play on the ground. Good luck with this.
PJ
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by koukla1812

Really surprised about problems with Dome touching ground. We have used ours all summer with varying sites and never had a problem with ground contact between the black base and the ground. We have a 2014 177 with risers. The black base of our Dome is about 10 inches wide and allows for lots of contact.Maybe they are made in different sizes. Maybe lowering the front arc will give more play on the ground. Good luck with this.

178's and 18xg models are longer and have a longer keder rail.  Our channel doesn't slope down at the same angle as the shorter models, so we lose a small amount of give and take with our domes there already.
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Try taking your pod to the local school parking lot after-hours for practice. 

1. This works for some - grab the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and move your hand left if you want the trailer to go left, right if you want the trailer to go right.  The steering wheel will turn the right and your TV will go right when you move your hand to the left - but the trailer will go left.  But you don't have to think about any of that which is why the trick works. 

2. Make very small turns on the steering wheel, the trailer will amplify everything you do. 

3. Sometimes you just need to pull forward a few feet to strighten things out and then start back again, instead of trying to make bigger and bigger corrections while you are still going backwards.

4. Never take your eyes off of your mirrors.  The second you do, you will jackknife.  Again, the trailer amplifys everything you do so it will go from a slight angle to a 90 degree angle with just a few feet of motion if you don't pay attention.

5. Always have your spotter stay near the camper's left or right rear corner, whichever side is the one you can see with your side mirror.  Never behind where you could run over them but far enough behind that they can see everything back there.  Backing campers are magnets for kids, dogs and picnic tables.  Yes, picnic tables will magically move while you are backing your camper!  My biggest rule for spotters - if they disappear from your side mirror you don't let your foot off of the break until they reappear in one of your side mirrors, no matter how much they keep yelling "c'mon back".
Techntrek beat me to it, but I was going to suggest virtually everything he covered, beginning with the hand at the bottom of the wheel method. So, I'll second everything, and add some emphasis on going slowly. Back up at a snails pace and correct conservatively and constantly, as steps 2-4 suggest. I rarely use a spotter. That would be my wife, and that could get virtually every outing off to a bad start. For short distance trips, I sometimes go ahead and she comes later that day or the next. That's another reason that taking it slow is important: if you do bump something, you don't necessarily need to do any damage. I also roll down my windows to listen for any sort of unintended bump or scraping sound. I stop and get out for a look/sizing as needed. As sick as it may seem, I actually enjoy towing a trailer like the rPod, including backing it into sites. I much prefer single axle trailers to double axle. You can get jacknifed a little quicker; but they're more maneuverable, and I hate contorting the tire treads like you have to in tight turns with a double axle trailer.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 8:47am
Good catch with the window rolled down.  I always roll down both windows and turn the radio off.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 10:18am
Also, if your TV has back up sensors, know HOW to disable them BEFORE your first 500 foot backup event down a snakey, tree lined driveway in the dark with 31 foot of trailer behind you, after a 700 mile one shot pull.

trust me.
strorg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 9:59am
I suspect that the dealer gave us the wrong rdome with our 2013 178. The bead on the dome is about two feet shorter than the channel on the pod. The side of the dome is about a foot off the ground at the pod end. Even with the axle risers, this seems wrong. A couple of questions: does anybody know what rdome model number fits the 2014 178? Where on the dome will I find the model number?

Thanks!
Tom and Tracy
Mobile, AL
2014 RP-178
strorg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by strorg

I suspect that the dealer gave us the wrong rdome with our 2013 178. The bead on the dome is about two feet shorter than the channel on the pod. The side of the dome is about a foot off the ground at the pod end. Even with the axle risers, this seems wrong. A couple of questions: does anybody know what rdome model number fits the 2014 178? Where on the dome will I find the model number?

Thanks!

Found the model number: 747FGN13.102
Tom and Tracy
Mobile, AL
2014 RP-178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>