R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-Dome Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-Dome Revisited
    Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 4:29pm
when we put up our dome on our 181g i'll try and take the suction cups just to the left of the storage bin so that we can still access it.  like you said though it is a bit troublesome at times.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 5:02pm
We went with super stick 2" Velcro on the flaps of the dome and stuck to the pod wall.  Some areas peeled - not cleaned enough? And some areas pulled the 'decal's ' off.  The other thing is the white Velcro is whiter than the pod coating, and it collects dirt. However, the flaps are stuck to the wall with no openings or drafts.  As I said in an earlier post, I made 8x8 blocks from 4x4's with a hole in the center for support pole which brings the front of the dome to the same height as the pod end.  We often use extra firewood to hold down the side and front flaps.
Walt

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
G-Force View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:38am
I bought an R-dome with my 178 Hood River Edition last fall.  Had the same issues others have - needed to figure a system for sliding it through the metal channel w/o cutting into the fabric:  silicone spray, filing the sharp channel edges down, and working it past the original screws lets me put it up alone.  The additional height of the HRE though is an issue.  They only make the R-dome in one size, so with the extra height of the HRE and the extra length of the 178, the R-dome sits higher off the ground than it should and it slopes from the rpod down to the poles.  Looks wrong, but works OK.  I didn't find it to be very stable in wind at all, but maybe its because of the poor fit with my HRE 178.
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:20pm
We've used our dome at least 30 times. It will withstand some wind (in Wyoming it's always windy), but we do take it down when the wind is extreme. It survived a 2", 2-hour hail storm last summer in the mountains like a champ, except we kept having to knock the ice off of the sagging roof area. Yes, we've had to play around with it to figure out the best way to get it through the track (like others, we filed things down a bit and it now goes in perfectly), had to figure out where to place the suction cups (the first picture on the first page of this thread is how we do it), and depending on the slope of the land it sometimes doesn't touch the ground the way we'd like (we also have the HRE), but all in all it's a terrific product. We sat in the R-dome at a campground in Myrtle Beach night after night when the big rig people were inside because the bugs were fierce, and we were just as cozy as can be. Let me tell you, those big-rig people were jealous, and many of them commented about how awesome it was that we had that screen tent.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:36pm
So, Kokopod, do mosquitoes get in under the pod itself and into the R-dome?
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 12:31am
The biggest trick is to seal it around the tire and screen skirt under the Pod steps and especially in the corners. We've managed to get it pretty tight in those areas. We do get an occasional mosquito; but for the most part, we're pretty bug free.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
2PeasNRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 6:53am
I've searched threads regarding the Rdome. My husband and I have decided to purchase one for our 2013 178 with Risers. From my research the only seller is Dometic but I still have questions
Does anyone know of a better seller?
If Dometic is the best, is their Cabana what we call the Rdome?
What size do I need?
I can find it by model number that was listed in an earlier post
Thanks
Mimi
Brett - Pea #1
Mimi - Pea #2
2014 178
2PeasNRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 6:53am
Sorry correction, 2014 178
Mimi
Brett - Pea #1
Mimi - Pea #2
2014 178
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 9:08am
Easiest way to make sure you get the one that is sized for your Pod is to call and order through Forest River.

Aside from that yes it is the Dometic Cabana.  Ebay used to sell them but I haven't seen them on there for a while, that used to be a nice place to get them very cheaply.

But for a 178 whatever the biggest cabana you find online should be the one for you.  I'll look around for the model number but maybe someone else will have it handy, I can't find it at the moment.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 9:21am
The one delivered with my 2014 178 is Dometic #747FGN13.102.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>