R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBEEPING NOISE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEEPING NOISE
    Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 10:02am
Ok, we have returned from our summer vacation. Logged over 8000 miles visiting national and state parks and various other places on the road. Had a great time and other than the electrical issues we had ( which we found during the course of events was a short in our 30amp cable) we had a great time in our new POD.
We have been home for a couple of days now and slowly we have been getting things back in order around the house. This morning I went into our pod and I hear this beeping noise.
I sounds like a battery that needs to be replaced in the Carbon or Smoke detector, but when I got close to them to listen for the beep, the beep is coming from someplace else.
I shut all the circuit breakers and still the beep is there. I can not for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. It is loud enough that as I sit here in the house with the doors shut I can here this beeping sound.
Any ideas what it might be?
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 10:37am

Welcome back, that is a long trip!  If it isn't the CO2 or smoke detector I'd go with option 3, the LPG detector.  Look for it near the floor usually near the converter.  If it is going off either your pod is unplugged and your battery is now low, or fumes from something are setting it off.  Between the LPG detector and other loads the battery will last less than 2 weeks with everything "off", less if the battery is older.  And I've had our detector go off from fumes from Lysol, from the toilet when its held open during black tank flushing, and other stuff. 

When I first read the thread title I read it as BLEEPING NOISE.  I thought you were going to complain about some nasty camping neighbor.  LOL

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:25am
Yup that's it, the LP detector. I had forgotten about that alarm and it had a box in front of it so I did not see it. Thank you.

Now the question is how does one turn it off? I do not smell anything in the pod and I have had the door open for the last two hours. I just now opened all the windows Just in case. I checked the LP tank earlier to ensure it was off and it was.
There is still some life left to the battery so I see no reason why it should go off now.
Should I just disconnect the battery from the pod? Will that stop the beeping?
Nope, had great neighbors in camp grounds everywhere we stayed. In fact Tricera-pod was the HIT at just about every place we stayed. We gave a BUNCH of tours too. When we stayed at my MIL's home in WI someone came to the door to ask me if the pod was for sale. My MIL has her house up for sale and the sign was just in front of the pod. We had a good laugh....
I will tell you two great campgrounds we stayed at were National Parks (NP), Hot Springs and Cumberland Gap. These are the BEST NP campgrounds ever. Both had everything a RVer would want, Hot Springs did not have a shower (but there is a river that goes through the campground and the hot springs downtown, but there is everything else at both places. We stay at allot of NP's campgrounds and these have to be the best so far.
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:48am
We had ours go off every time one of our geriatric pugs gassed!  But when we store our pod,,,we either disconnect the battery,,,or we plug in the pod..which is the favorite choice.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 12:07pm
Airing our pod out usually stops the alarm in a few minutes, so if yours if still going off I'd say its a low battery alarm.  Is your pod plugged in?  If it isn't plug it in and the alarm should stop immediately.
nursedee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 2:16pm
It may be the fridge.  If you do not select which "mode" you want it to run in, it will beep incessantly.   I f you are staying  parked and "unpluggeg"  I recommend disconnecting the battery to save drain.

Dee
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:58pm
I had the door and windows open for several hours and the alarm was still going off. After looking into what was suggested here I found out that the LPG detector was going off. The battery is now dead so the alarm is not going off anymore.
When we park the pod in the drive way I normally do not leave it plugged in, just never saw a need to do so. I guess I should start disconnecting the battery when we have it parked for long periods though.
Once again this forum provides great and timely advice. Thank you to everyone.
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by TRICERA-POD

I had the door and windows open for several hours and the alarm was still going off. After looking into what was suggested here I found out that the LPG detector was going off. The battery is now dead so the alarm is not going off anymore.
When we park the pod in the drive way I normally do not leave it plugged in, just never saw a need to do so. I guess I should start disconnecting the battery when we have it parked for long periods though.
Once again this forum provides great and timely advice. Thank you to everyone.

Might want to get a battery tender (float charger) to keep the battery charged up once you remove it.
We do this any time we are not going back out with the POD.
WWR
WallaWallaron,2012 RP177 H.R.E.,2010 F-150.NRA Life Member
9/11 Never Forget
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 7:49pm
Several of us have had to replace our propane detectors.  We had to replace ours last year.  It was going off for no reason whatsoever.

Cleaned it once, bit of canned air to remove dirt from the sensor and it stayed off for quite a long time but then started up again.

Once you have it off they actually have a replace by date on the back of them.  Got a new one from Forest River and it's been fine ever since.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 7:56pm
Yup, you need to disconnect the battery between trips.  You do need to reconnect it once per month and plug the pod in overnight, and I also recommend doing the same overnight before any trip. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>