R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrials and Tribulations and Smell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trials and Tribulations and Smell
    Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:16pm
We've had our 177 since April and have taken 6 trips with it. We love the camper and the lifestyle and are willing to deal with a little problem here and there. Here's a rundown of issues and solutions and a request for a new problem:
1. Brakes didn't work --- dealer reconnected driver side brake. Wire was broken in axle.
2. Hot water heater didn't get hot --- friendly R-podder at next site showed me how to turn the hot water heater bypasses to the correct positions.
3. Gas stove wouldn't light up --- rubber hose to stove got crimped on slideout. Crawled under and moved it.
4. Water leaking onto floor --- sink connection into waste pipe wasn't secure and sink water was splashing out onto the floor. I secured the pipes.
5. Flimsy dividers under sink cabinet keep breaking --- move heavy stuff to another cabinet. Does anyone use netting or anything else under here?

New problem:
Had a smell at the end of our last trip (3 days long)- thought it was propane under the sink - but it could have been grey water tank. Haven't been able to get the smell to come back to fix or show to dealer. Checked AAV under sink and it moved freely so I don't think it's stuck open. Originally I thought it was the metal/hose propane connection under the counter by the stove. Not sure now. Any ideas???
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:01pm
1st, welcome to the forums and podding. Wink

You can get a "smell" if the "p" traps dry out or splash out while pulling, or between uses, and then it magically goes away as soon as you do something that refills them.

Sometimes you can have the bad luck of being oriented in a way that causes the vent pipe odor to find it's way back in also.

To address your other issues.. more or less..

1) the brakes are electric, the wires can get damaged.. one of the things to check.
2) totally "normal" to find the valves in the winterization position on a new pod, we see it on here weekly.
3)Have to admit.. that is a new one, any stove that wouldn't light previously just needed purging.
4)again, something to check every now and again.. The trailer uses pretty much the same types of plumbing connectors as your home, you never have to worry about those because your house doesn't move around as much.. except maybe in California.. LOL.
5) Some people have removed the dividers, I have never heard of them breaking. But again, stuff moves and shifts while in transit, and, the Pod is built to be light, so some materials are not "tank like".. All we store down there is bread/crackers/marshmallows/cookies.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by furpod

You can get a "smell" if the "p" traps dry out or splash out while pulling, or between uses, and then it magically goes away as soon as you do something that refills them.

+1

BTW, stagnant grey water can smell somewhat like ethyl mercaptan (propane is odourless - ethyl mercaptan is added specifically to give it a recognisable odour).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 9:38pm
Thanks for the suggestions.
The smell came on the day three of our stay. We hadn't been pulling or even moving. Sink had been used regularly for dishwashing, etc. Smell seemed strongest under the stove (inside the drawers). Traps were filled in shower and sink. Maybe  the kitchen sink siphoned out the trap? But the utility vent should have prevented that. True that lots of things smell rotten. I've learned that one the hard way before.                
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 8:16am

It's the small propane regulator valve under your stove top. Pop the stove top off, give the valve a good sniff check. I'd bet that is it because mine did the same thing, I thought it was "tank smell" but it was propane. My dealer replaced the defective valve under the stove under warrenty.

shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 9:33am
I will definitely check that one out. That's where I was thinking but I didn't know about that part. Warranty just expired a few days ago, but if that'll fix it, I'll pay.

Thanks for checking the posts.
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 2:09pm
Even without warranty, it's not that expensive. Not a $500 fix, should be safely under $100 even with labor.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 4:00pm
I had a similar stink problem when connected to the campground sewer and the gray drain valve open. Particularly bad wiht Fantastic fan running. It was the vacuum breaker vent under the kitchen sink/stove.

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4482&PN=3&title=sewer-connections-on-r17
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 8:29pm
I checked the vent. All I could figure out was that if I shook it, it should rattle a bit. Is there any other way to determine if it works properly? I understand the principle behind how it works, but not sure how to troubleshoot one.

Seems like lots of things can stink in a small space. Can't always blame the dog ;)
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 6:53am
Under the stove top there is a small valve. If you turn on the propane (for an hour or so) give this valve a sniff and see if it smells like "black tank smell." That is what was causing my smell. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>