R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp mounting TV and shelf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help mounting TV and shelf
    Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 6:51pm
I would appreciate your help with this.  This picture shows approximately what I would hope to accomplish.  I would like to mount a television or computer monitor, power strip and shelf. 

Some of you have mounted shelves and other heavy items on your R-pod.  Looking at the walls, there doesn't look to be much to support any type of toggle bolts or other fasteners you would normally use on sheet rock.  This picture is a side wall. 

A couple questions. 

1.  Those of you who have attached shelves or other heavy items, what have you used to anchor to the wall?  Do you need to find a stud?  Would the TV be to heavy here? 
2.  For additional 120V outlets, is there a reason they need to be GFI?   I have a 2013 177.  I understand why the outlet by the sink is GFI, but not certain why the one on the kitchenette seat is GFI.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Pat
Rpod 177 & and Jeep Liberty
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 7:51pm
I used Molly bolts on the rear, bathroom, and side wall when I added a shelf above the bed in my 171.  I'm not sure I would want to trust a television to them.  I would definitely add a GFCI outlet if you are adding an outlet that isn't already covered by the GFCI.  There are too many things that can go wrong which a GFCI will keep you safe from. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 8:54am
We just installed a swivel arm mount and 19" monitor in the corner of the bedroom, using the wood framing (with some additionally added backing) that is around the micro/conv oven and storage area above it.  We can watch a movie in bed, or swivel it around the corner so we can see it from the front dinette area if we wanted or needed to.

I definitely wouldn't recommend installing one on any of the exterior walls though, as there just isn't the support there to hold it up safely.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 8:15am
My mod
 Post Reply Post Reply