R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommended generator specifications?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended generator specifications?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 9:11pm
I'm a new owner of a 2014 177 and have solved my generator/inverter issue. I purchased a Dometic 3000 watt inverter/generator and it would not start my Dometic 13.5 AC unit. I did some research and purchased a Supco SSP6 hard start capacitor and installed it in my AC unit. On the wiring diagram of the AC unit it plugs in where it shows optional ptcr. It took a whole 10 minutes including removal of the AC cover. Two wires connect with spade type connectors that are provided on the AC unit and on the new capacitor. AC started without a problem. It will not start on the Eco mode of the generator but I did switch it to Eco after it was running. As for the Dometic 3000, it costs about 1/3 the price of a Honda or Yamaha it is rated about the same decibels and is lightweight. Oh, by the way it has electric start.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 9:51pm
Good for you!!  I bought my Dometic LW3000 a few months ago and I am more than happy with its performance.  My A/C is a Coleman 11K unit and it starts flawlessly.  I did have to buy a 30 amp RV cord to generator adapter, but it was very inexpensive on eBay.  I still can't believe how quickly the unit starts with just a turn of the key.  And, since they are Dometics, most RV facilities will take care of warranty issues, if any.  Two RV dealers in my immediate area sell them.

I was reading an article a few days ago about installing the inverters in rebuilt vintage motor homes.  They placed the Dometics in the compartment formerly used by the original generator set, and dealt with the issues of exhaust, remote start and similar issues.  Wish I had bookmarked the web site for you.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 10:26pm
It will be interesting to see how the LW 3000 holds up long term.  There are only 12 reviews on Amazon that run the gamut, with an overall 3 star rating.  Too small a sample, but worth watching.
[/URL]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by GA_RPOD_178

It will be interesting to see how the LW 3000 holds up long term.  There are only 12 reviews on Amazon that run the gamut, with an overall 3 star rating.  Too small a sample, but worth watching.

[/URL]
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:06pm

I am also waiting to see how well mine holds up.  I thought it would get a prolonged workout during our hurricane season, but so far no power outages.  Before I bought mine, I checked the reviews on all the web sites I could find, including those on Amazon.com.  There are several more reviews out there.  Admittedly, a few are not favorable.  Still, for $450 I got a brand new electric start inverter large enough for my pod's air conditioner and purrs quietly at idle.  For me, it was worth a gamble.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

I am also waiting to see how well mine holds up.  I thought it would get a prolonged workout during our hurricane season, but so far no power outages.  Before I bought mine, I checked the reviews on all the web sites I could find, including those on Amazon.com.  There are several more reviews out there.  Admittedly, a few are not favorable.  Still, for $450 I got a brand new electric start inverter large enough for my pod's air conditioner and purrs quietly at idle.  For me, it was worth a gamble.

Bob

Keep us posted.  That way we get to play with house money.
[/URL]
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 6:28pm
I'm not rich, and I'm generally smart enough not to just throw money away, but I've learned over the years that I seldom regret spending more money on better quality stuff.  And that's not to say that the Dometic inverter isn't a quality item.  There have been times though when I've bought cheap, bought cheap again, and then bought quality and wished I'd been smart enough to skip the first two steps. 

You have to be careful, because companies like Honda and Yamaha can take advantage of people with my attitude!

I hope the Dometic turns out to be a winner for you guys.  It sounds like it could be a real bargain.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12