R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical problem troubleshooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical problem troubleshooting
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 2:04pm
I'm having problems with my electrical system, specifically the battery, and I'm hoping I can get some ideas about what to try next for sorting them out.

When I charge my battery and hook it back up to my Rpod, I'm getting little or no power flowing into my trailer. When I press the battery indicator level, I get a 3/4ths reading, but the light itself is very faint. The lights don't turn on, and I get intermittent beeping from the CO2 sensor, which I understand is normal.

I've tried different things to sort out the problem. Got a new battery. Got a new battery charger.

I'm not sure what to try next. Could this be a fuse issue?

I ran into this on our last trip, and having the towing vehicle hooked up to the trailer seemed to somehow rectify the situation, and we had no other issues on the short weekend trip. But I'm getting ready for longer one and hate to take off again with this unresolved issue. I welcome any of your suggestions. Many thanks!
2009 173
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 2:18pm
You should have a voltmeter capable of measuring 12 VDC. If you don't have one, get one. They are cheap at auto stores, etc.

After you charge the battery and reconnect it to the Pod, put the voltmeter probes directly on the battery posts, not the connectors. The charged battery should read about 12.5 volts. Turn on trailer inside lights and read battery again. If it drops below 12 volts and the lights do not light, either the battery or charger are bad. If the battery stays around 12.5, but the lights still don't work, you have a bad connection in the battery circuit. Check the battery connections and the screw terminal connections on the back of the power panel.

If hooking up the TV and running it allow all lights to operate I'd suspect the battery/charger/connection area.

Let us know how it goes,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 3:01pm
You are using a stand alone charger to charge the battery? What is the voltage of the battery after charging?

If, after sitting for a couple hours not hooked up to anything, you have 12.6v or above, your battery is probably OK. If not, it may be the problem.

If you have 12v power at all, it's not a fuse issue persay. That is easy enough to check, are any fuses blown?

How did the camper act when plugged in at the campground? Everything worked?

If you have changed the battery, and have faith in the charger, my guess would be a ground issue.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:41pm
I am with Furpod my first thought was a bad ground. I have had that with cars where the battery was charged but because of a bad ground strap I would not get a full 12 volts. Easy enough to check. Measure the voltage across the + and - terminals on the battery and then between the + and a ground point on the trailer. Should be very close to the same reading. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:52pm

Have you tried charging the battery using the pod itself?  

A note about the detectors - the two on the ceiling run on 9 volt batteries.  One is a standard smoke detector and the other is a standard carbon monoxide (CO) detector.  If either of them starts chirping just replace the 9 volt.  Chirping is the low-battery warning.  There is a 3rd detector near the floor, usually near the converter which is a LPG detector.  It only runs from the 12 volt supply either from the converter or the battery on the tongue.  It has a low-battery warning too and you won't miss it - low battery or propane warning it will scream you out of the camper.  Confused 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
NorthStarPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 10:37am
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. In exploring a possible grounding issue, I found that the black negative battery cable was totally hanging outside of the plastic sleeve that keeps the two battery cables together. (In exploring those connections, I saw that the negative cable is grounded to the tongue, so it was good find and check that.)

I also found that the fuse/converter panel door was hanging open. After both of those easy fixes the battery power is strong again. (I also noticed that the indicator light on the LP detector turns from orangish to green when everything's working well with the power supply. Yay!)
2009 173
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 12:12pm
I installed a 12VDC socket inside my POD, and bought a digital 12VDC meter.  If I am dry camping I can easily insert the meter and read the battery voltage.  I have learned not to let the voltage drop too far (battery capacity less than 50%).  Time to charge the dual batteries.
The meter can also tell you if the voltage coming into the POD from the tow vehicle is adequate by disconnecting a battery post and checking the running TOW feed.
My dual battery setup also has a 12VDC socket so I can directly read the voltage right at the battery.
Any voltage loss can then be pin-pointed quite readily...coming from the TV, at the converter/circuit panel, or at the batteries.  The meter cost less than $15 and the sockets were only a couple of bucks each.
TIDALWAVE
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 12:39pm
I did the same thing. 12V sockets inside for running/charging computers, phones. players, etc. directly from 12V. I keep a digital battery monitor plugged in to monitor the battery. The TV charging can be checked without disconnecting the battery by watching the voltage when shorepower is absent. With the TV running the battery should be about 13.5V. With the TV stopped the voltage will drop to around 12.5V. If the TV does not bump up the voltage above 12.5V you have a problem.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
CaperPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 8:53am

I had an issue this weekend while camping. I had the Pod plugged in at home before leaving and had a full battery reading on the inside monitor. I parked the Pod at our bus stop with only the fridge running on battery for 6 hours since we wanted to leave right away after work. When I got to the Pod afterwork, my battery was down to it's last light on the monitor. I changed the fridgerator to propane, hooked the Bargman to the TV and took off for our camping trip. After driving for 2.5 hours and getting to our campsite, the battery was drained, interior lights were very dim and the LPG monitor was chirping a low battery warning. This was a Provinvial Park campground with no services and I was not even able to open the slide out with the TV running.

We slept with the slide in that night and headed to the next destination which would have full hookups. The next two days, with the Pod plugged in, everything worked fine and I left yesterday morning with a full battery reading. After getting home 5 hours later, the same thing happened. Battery was drained to the point that the LPG monitor was chirping.

Anyone know what my issue could be? I'm thinking there might be a bad connection on the TV end since running the engine wouldn't even give me enough juice to run interior lights or slide out. All exterior lights and brakes on the pod worked though when connected to the TV.
Don, Mimi, & Nola the Goldendoodle
2013 RPod 177 (CachePod)
2013 F-150 4x4
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:19am
As a side note...if memory serves there is a way to manually put the slide out.  Don't remember the particulars at this time though.
Eddy the Escape Pod...177
Ford F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>