Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Pod Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Pod Owner
    Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:25pm
Flypod, I am happy to find another fly rod fanatic in the forum.  I live 3 miles from the Indian River which has some of the best saltwater fishing in Florida and belong to 2 fishing and shrimping club.  My backyard lake has large mouth bass up to 12 pounds as well as large channel cats and bluegills.  So far, I seem to be the only one around here that enjoys fly fishing. 

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your pod and look me up if you ever visit the Space Coast area of Florida.

Bob 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:32pm
Good luck with that. This forum is amazing. I already received an invite from a member in my area to join in a camp weekend to see modifications he has done and tutor me on operations from a regular podder in person. Hope you find someone to help you out in Utah in that way.
Best
FlyPod
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:36pm
Sleepless, ...and you as well, if you ever vacation to the beautiful Pacific Northwest we'll wet our flylines together. Perhaps we'll draw some other POD fly fishers out of the woodwork.
FlyPod
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:53pm
12 lb. large mouth bass?! I'm coming to FL! And bluegill are YUMMY!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:20am
Originally posted by FlyPod

Sleepless, ...and you as well, if you ever vacation to the beautiful Pacific Northwest we'll wet our flylines together. Perhaps we'll draw some other POD fly fishers out of the woodwork.

Our last trip out your way was May/June to visit relatives along the way that we had not seen for several years.  We only went as far as North Las Vegas but hope to get to the west coast within the next few years.  I have not found a fly fishing club in my area, our local fly fishing shop closed last year, and I almost never see anyone using a fly rod.  My theory is that some of the fish in the Indian River are much too large to land. 

Schipperpod, the 12 pound bass is the largest I have seen caught in our little lake.  Most of those I catch are in the 4# - 4.5# range, which are not considered big fish here in Florida.  Our lake is catch and release, but it is really tempting to sneak a few into our home.  I don't target bluegills, but when my grandchildren visit, they enjoy the action in catching both bluegills and channel cats. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by kymooses

Couldn't resist.  You stirred my inner geek up a bit!!  Big smile

That's what I was thinking of.  Wink

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Sleepless

Flypod, I am happy to find another fly rod fanatic in the forum. ...

While I am not a fishing fan, I live close to one of the top 10 trout streams in the country.  As I've mentioned before, podders are welcome to plop their pod in my driveway for a weekend of wading.  I'm also a mile from a decent campground.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:32am
I'm not a fishing fan either, but the description you included made me sit up and take notice.  Not sure we'll ever get up your way, but sure looks inviting.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
FlyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 12:47pm
My dealership is offering an "Interior Sealant" option for $475 and an "Exterior Sealant" option for $800.
Have any of you heard about these dealer options and if they are worth the money?
FlyPod
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by FlyPod

My dealership is offering an "Interior Sealant" option for $475 and an "Exterior Sealant" option for $800.
Have any of you heard about these dealer options and if they are worth the money?

Definitely not worth it.  When we bought one of our new cars, the sales person tried to convince us that there were must have items.  While our new car was receiving its final detail before delivery, I asked the detailer if he was the one that applied the sealant option material.  He was and shared some information with me.  For the exterior, they use "Xzilon" which is supposedly not sold to consumers.  I found it on eBay, in sealed 7 ounce cans, for around $30.00 including shipping.  If the vehicle, be it a car or a R-Pod, once the finish is squeaky clean, the Xzilon application takes only about half an hour.  That car is going on 8 years old, and water still beads up like it did when new.  The surface is very slick, which is another reason it is also used on aircraft and boats.  I have used it on both of our vehicles and our boat, and still have enough left in the can for another vehicle.

For interior protection, we just use ScotchGuard.  On our earlier trailers, all the cushion covers had zippers, so they could be washed if needed.  I have not checked the cushions on our pod.

I have read many reports and reviews on these sealant options, and they all discourage the reader from purchasing them.  They are only money-makers for the dealers.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>