FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Pickup Truck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Pickup Truck
    Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 6:42am
Mine was proudly assembled in Ft. Wayne, IN by Hoosiers.

I view the matter of TVs as I do campers....buy what you want.  You are the one paying for it and will have to live with it.  I've owned something from each of the Big 3.  They all were good and served their purpose.  Coming from a GM family, I am predisposed to GM.

With that said...ask me about my 72 Vega GT (back in the day)! Cry LOL
Or, better yet, DON'T ask me.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:17am
Go Ravens!

Confused

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:41am
We had a '73 Vega wagon back in our day.

[/QUOTE]
WallaWallaron,2012 RP177 H.R.E.,2010 F-150.NRA Life Member
9/11 Never Forget
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:59am
I have also owned trucks from each of the Big 3 although most were GMC.  None gave me many problems, except for a new 1989 Chevrolet that quickly succumbed to the road salt in NW Indiana.

What surprises me so far in your responses is that many of the "US" trucks actually come from Mexico.  Having come from an area full of assembly plants, I assumed they all came from the states. 

Automobile-wise, many of our domestic cars are filled with foreign components, including the drive train.  I had a Dodge D-50 pickup that was really a Mitsubishi with the Dodge badge slapped onto it.  At 104K, the engine gave out and I ordered a used Jasper engine, and what I received had Mitsubishi all over it. 

People frown upon cars like Hyundai.  I own 2, the upscale Azera Limited and my Santa Fe that has every option available.  What most people don't realize is although these are Korean vehicles in name, they are assembled in America by Americans.  My last 2 Hondas came from Marysville, OH, not Japan.  You just can't tell a vehicle's country of origin just because of its name.

I personally would not hesitate to purchase any of the 5 brands mentioned in the report. My wife, however, wants a Chevrolet Avalance (no longer produced) but only because of its unique versatile design.  That is the only pickup she will consider,  based only on the Avalance features.  I think most of us are influenced in our truck choice in similar fashion, be it because of horsepower, CR reports, price or a myriad of other reasons.  I am interested in performance, but price and gas mileage are more important factors when I read reviews of pickups.  Then there is my neighbor who will only buy the Escalade or Lincoln pickup because of their perceived status symbol.  As a few of you have said, buy what you want, if you can afford it.

Sorry for the long post, but like most people I am very opinionated.  I have several other thoughts on this subject, but I have added enough fuel to an already controversial subject.  I do enjoy reading the diversified responses.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 9:02am
Originally posted by wallawallaron

We had a '73 Vega wagon back in our day.

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about the used Yugo I bought for my youngest daughter when she was in college.  It did get fantastic gas mileage though.  

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by David and Danette

Originally posted by Craneman

All three Chevy, Ram and Ford are well built trucks I chose our Ram because it was the least expensive. If money was not a option I am not sure which one I would chose. It is good to know USA built trucks are the top three.  David

My 2006 silverado was built in Mexico by GM De Mexico. the dealer wouldn`t take it back.
                                                      moe
Our Ram is built in Mexico too, I should have said a American company that makes more since. So far very happy with our Ram it does a good job of towing the R-pod that is the main reason we bought it. David

My comment about country of origin,didn't reflect the quality, it has been a good truck. I was born and raised near Pontiac Michigan and a lot of family and friends worked in the auto industry. Hated to see the out sourced jobs. Unfortunately look at Detroit and Pontiac mich now. I do like my Chevy 
                  Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 11:49am
Being realistic, we are in a global economy. While I prefer to buy items substantially made by North American labor reality is that we all rely on items made abroad. We have a car made in Mexico by an American company, a truck made in America substantially of American parts and a car made in France by a German company with a Japanese driveline. I always used to buy exclusively American clothing, but no longer can find much. And it goes on.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:22pm

All three Chevy, Ram and Ford are well built trucks I chose our Ram because it was the least expensive. If money was not a option I am not sure which one I would chose. It is good to know USA built trucks are the top three.  David

My 2006 silverado was built in Mexico by GM De Mexico. the dealer wouldn`t take it back.
                                                      moe
Our Ram is built in Mexico too, I should have said a American company that makes more since. So far very happy with our Ram it does a good job of towing the R-pod that is the main reason we bought it. David

My comment about country of origin,didn't reflect the quality, it has been a good truck. I was born and raised near Pontiac Michigan and a lot of family and friends worked in the auto industry. Hated to see the out sourced jobs. Unfortunately look at Detroit and Pontiac mich now. I do like my Chevy 
                  Moe

Moe, I lived in Pontiac MI in the early 60's until I was transferred back to the Chicago area.  I, too, had many friends that worked in the auto industry in Michigan, so I know what you mean.  In Illinois we live at the foot of Lake Michigan, about 10 miles from the huge Ford assembly plant in Hegewisch, IL.  We lived in that area for 27 years and saw several of our friends laid off permanently as that giant facility began to shrink. 

If I had a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota or Nissan pickup, I would like it regardless of where it was made.  Almost every American label product I buy anymore seems to be made and/or assembled outside the states. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:51pm
  I wanted to mention Ram has the optional Ram Boxes  for the sides of the truck bed. That was one of the things that got my attention when I was shopping and ended up with the Ram that has that option. They can be very useful for storage when camping. We use ours a lot even as a cooler for groceries on a long trip.Thought that might interest someone if they were shopping for a truck.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 8:14am
Not sure what the debate is here............FORD rocks!!!!!!!!!!!Big smile  Honestly, there all good and agree it's just preference.  I do think however that pick-ups make good tow vehicles and are very versatile when camping.
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>