Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Smart Phone Travel Apps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smart Phone Travel Apps.
    Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 12:45pm
I have two travel apps on my smartphone that I find invaluable.  Both are free and will help to save money on fuel and bladder attacks.  The first is Gas Buddy that with your position, find and display the cheapest fuel prices close to your location.  We have saved as much as 15-20 cents per gallon.  The other app is called USA Reststops.  An easy to use app which will locate the closet rest stop to your current location.  Hope others have other apps that they may recommend.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 4:47pm
Reststops..

"Not compatible with your device.."

Ouch

Capt. Irk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt. Irk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 5:39pm
I've got iExit - probably similar to Reststops. This one shows gas/food/lodging/grocery stores, etc at each exit. 
Another one I have is Point Inside. It shows shopping centers/malls and even maps of the malls so you can see which stores are inside.
They were both free. I have a Droid.
2013 176HRE / 2017 Ram 1500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 8:37pm
Gas Buddy is good, I've used that over a year now.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 2:52pm
Boon Docking is a cool free app.  It will bring up a map showing your location.  Zoom out, go to the interested area and it will show you known places to boon dock. 

I have it but haven't used it yet.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 2:56pm
I made this a sticky topic.  If anyone has or knows of an app that would be useful to us please post some info about it.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlennZippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 4:26pm
I like road ahead. It shows what's on the highway you are on.

RecGovCamp is great for finding government campgrounds...

Trip Adviser is great for finding a restaurant.
2010 R-Pod 152
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 4:53pm
If you are a Passport America Member their app is useful. You can use it if you are not a member but you do not get the discount.  I also have USA Reststops, Camp Finder, and Gas Buddy. If you are a Canadian or live in one of the Border States that has Tim Hortons then the Timmy me app is a must. 

I am an Android user but I know some of these apps are on the Iphone as well. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Thredbende View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thredbende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 3:37pm
I like "Point Inside".  I needed to drive to a Crate and Barrel store at the Burlington Mall while visiting relatives.  Point Inside showed me where, in that huge and confusing complex, the danged place was.  I drove exactly to the closest parking area, bought the fabulous knife I wanted to give my niece, and drove out like a seasoned retail maven.  It is useful at decoding restrooms, parking, atms, security and "promos" at malls and transportation hubs.  I like the free price too. This is the Android like; it is also available for those of the Apple ideology.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pointinside.android.app&hl=en
Thredbende
Thredbende View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thredbende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 3:39pm
RV checklist is free and I like that it allows customization for items AND categories. I don't know if it has an Apple version. 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rvadventuretreks.rvchecklist&hl=en
Thredbende
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>