Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Smart Phone Travel Apps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smart Phone Travel Apps.
    Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 5:23pm
There is some great stuff listed here folks! Keep it up.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:46pm
I've got two (paid) campground-search apps that I really like:

Both are GPS-enabled, provide campground overviews and amenities, links to online reviews, and allow you to search by amenities; both cover Canada and the USA.  The Allstays app is my favourite and is a little more feature-rich and also includes RV Dealers and Walmarts (identifying stores where you can park overnight).

They're both particularly handy for finding open campgrounds at this time of year as most 'round here have closed for the season.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:04pm
I know I have asked this before, but. I have a TomTom gps, why is there not a reasonable program that shows R.V. sites and camp grounds available. I will not pay $350.00 or $400.00 for a dedicated gps for campgrounds. I have a couple of the Woodalls books but they only show the camp grounds that "PAY" there has to be a reasonable solution.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
jj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 12:11am
free aps for android smart phone
I have these on my phone 

Sanidumps lite (when RVs have to go)
RVparky (find rv parks near a city or place)
oh, ranger! (park finder near current location or select location)
google sky map (watch the night sky)
America's National Parks 
sundroid free (sun and moon rise and set time)
US Tides (high and low tides)
NOAA Wheather Free
MapQuest (navigation)
Gas Prices (gas stations also has diesel)
Good Sam and Pasport America
wiki tourist (travel info)
VET 24/7 (animal clinics)
Emergency Assist - Free
Poynt (find restaurants, buisinesses) 
g4royce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote g4royce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 9:56am
One of my favourites is HearPlanet (ios, don't know if it's available in Android). It's an app that uses your location and brings up a list of highlights in your immediate area.  I really like this App because it lists points of interest and not only the Top 10 Tourist attractions an internet search will show.  It separates the info on each area by overview and history.  What it tries to feature is a robotic voice reading the script out like a podcast, but I just prefer to read it myself as listening to that is quite tedious at times.

For example, when we were in Toronto, it listed the Observatory in Richmond Hill just north of the city. We've been driving around it for years and never really knew it was there. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Boomertype View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Boomertype Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 9:44pm
These are being used on a iPhone and an iPad. 
Gas Buddy - great app, make sure you look to see when the price was updated last. 
RVparking.com - works on both platforms. Has links to websites. Seems to have lots of N/A, not available data that is easily obtained at the location's website. Enter a location, city, town, etc. and a liist/map shows places to park/camp/etc.  Locations include Walmarts too. 
U.S. Lights - works on both platforms. For lighthouse buffs, Maps, pictures, history, great app. 
Tide guides - find one and use one. 
Weather apps - find one that gives good info that makes sense to you. 
AAA app - if you have AAA, get it. 
Vehicle insurance - State Farm, etc. contact info, insurance cards, etc. 
Smile
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlennZippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:47am
I've recently been using Waze. A friend turned me onto it.

It has nice features that help with navigation and seems to take into consideration more than just the quickest route by looking at traffic, accidents, road work etc. On my way home from a business trip the other night it routed me a completely different way home than I would have thought of and I loved the route.

It also has the ability to send a text with your route and a map that updates your location for those who want to see where you are and when you will arrive.
2010 R-Pod 152
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 2:58pm
Sounds like an interesting app. It can let the family track you while you are on a road trip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 4:10pm
All good suggestions!

Interesting that neither of our last two camping destinations had cell service in or around the campground. In fact, our last was several miles and a few turns in and out of the park before we had any usable signal.

A couple of tips that might help:

Offline Maps

I prefer Google Maps as my main navigation app. You can save offline maps of your destination for later use => https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en

I also use Motion X-GPS which I really like for hiking and biking. It too allows for offline map downloads => http://gps.motionx.com/

Paper maps are a pretty good backup too!

Weather

Good old fashion NOAA radio. I just purchased a LaCrosse radio which I will review after some use => http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080JIVC2/

Podcasts/Movies

Don't forget to download want you might want to listen to or rip what you may want to watch before leaving! I use Handbrake for ripping and saving a Netflix movie or two in case it's raining or I can't get a campfire going! => http://handbrake.fr/

TuneIn Radio also lets you record your favorite radio broadcast for later listening if you can't find a podcast. => http://tunein.com/

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
kylekai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kylekai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 8:05pm
The best camping app is The Ultimate US public Campground Project:

There's also an accompanying web site:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>