R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed176T question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176T question
    Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 7:06pm

I have started looking at pods, online, until I can find a local dealer with a 176T.  Would anyone be able to tell me some dimensions (actually, would anyone with time on their hands like to do some measuring?).

I'm trying to find out if the bunk on the 176T is large enough for a small adult to get in and out of. How large is the opening (width of area in bottom bunk that is open), and how much space between the top of the bottom mattress and the bar for the top bunk? 

Has anyone removed the bar for the top bunk and modified it so that there is a half shelf up there giving more room to get into bottom bunk?

Also, length and width of dining table?

Thanks a lot if anyone cares to do the research.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:01pm
There aren't many "T" owners here. It could be a while before one comes around.

I don't know how they compare to other Pods.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:09pm
I've got. 176T but it's a 2010 and I think has dif. dimensions than the new ones. It's in storage right now but I'll be pulling it out for some cleaning later this week. I believe my bunks are smaller than current versions.

I think someone has removed the top bunk and made shelves .... In the last 6 months. Try some searches.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:25pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:36pm
I should also note that I got rid of the large HEAVY table and use two sectioned pieces of wood to cover open area when traveling and only one piece when using the short queen mattress - I'm a big guy 250+ and there's plenty of room sleeping. It's only my wife and I and we use a light small folding table we got from BJ's. 

An ABSOLUTE MUST DO  MOD on  176T is creating a backrest towards the tent and then folding mattress in half and storing in tent during the day. This creates a U shaped couch which is GREAT for watching TV, eating etc. Without this mod we would get neck cramps trying to watch TV. There are some discussions on how to do this.

Also, an observation is that the 176T is not as sound (and temperature) insulated as other models ... But then I sleep well and I'm not big on winter camping. I have a small ceramic 120v heater which works great.

If you want my (2010) dimensions, let me know.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
retiredtraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 9:21am

Sure. I'll take dimensions which would be a starting point, anyway. Thanks. The insulation factor is not a big deal as we're coming from a tent camping, and now, popup background (which, of course, is a tent on wheels). So, anything hard-sided is better insulated than the pup.

Interesting comment on the "heavy" table. That's a common, pup complaint. We have that same complaint and if we decided to keep the pup, I will build a new table that weighs less than half using car siding (I just built one for our porch at home --- much larger than pup table would be. If we get the 't', could do same thing. 

I'm surprised that you say there are few 't' owners. It's the roomiest, largest, unit which makes it more desirable for us, at least, as we're used to a pup that opens up to 24 feet.

Anyway, thanks for response. I'll try searching for bunk mods to see what others may have done.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 9:31am
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 9:32am
We came from a 26 foot popup, but we specifically wanted to get away from wet tenting and the noise of neighbors that are up at 7 am.  We like to sleep in.  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 9:50am
Found the bunk mod right off. That's puts a new perspective on looking at this model. With only a half bunk on top, bottom bunk becomes useful for an adult and top bunk (half) becomes storage. I guess that might be something to post in the thread on 'what we'd like to see' in a pod. 
ToddLat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 1:06pm
We have a 2013 176T.  Both the wife and I sleep in the tent end and have never had any issues with size of the tent.  it also is stored at this moment but we may use it next weekend.  if so, i can get some measurements for you at that time. 

We agree that the 176T is the best of the best when it comes to our PODs.  The tent end makes the pod seem so large!  The U shaped mod is the best and makes the "dinning area" so much more user friendly.  We also dumped the large heavy table and have a light weight fold up table in its place. 

We have not done any mods to the bunks as we use them periodically.  When not, the top bunk becomes all storage and the bottom is used by our son.

There are other mods that can be done to increase the amount of storage in the POD.  You can find many of them here if you look.  So many great ideas!  Just need to put them to use! 

Hope that you find one!  We really enjoy ours and would do it again!     
Todd and Beth
2013 RP 176 T
2013 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>