R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpermanent water heater bypass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: permanent water heater bypass
    Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 11:30pm
I'm wondering if there is any harm in keeping the water heater in permanent bypass position.  After my first summer podding, I have found it is faster to heat up water on the stove for dishes and "bird baths."  I doubt I'll ever use the shower because I'm usually dry camping and conserving water (old habits from my tent-camping days die hard).   Of course I'd have to be careful not to accidently hit the "on" switch.

Thanks to all you phps who answer questions for us newbies and not-so-newbies.  I really appreciate the time you must devote to the website and have learned so much in my first season.

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 3:25am
I don't see any harm in not using the hot water tank, just to protect the heater element switch off the breaker in the fuse panel. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:35am
No reason for it to hurt a thing..

just seems like a waste to me personally, we went to a camper to get away from all that tent camping stuff.. LOL.

And I agree with Goose, shut that breaker off, and maybe tape a note to yourself inside the WH compartment..
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:19am
I guess I'm with furpod about the reason for a camper, and an r*pod in particular.  We tent camped for many years.  My biggest problem tent camping was not having a shower after a few days.  At three days I was going crazy.  At four days I've been known to jump in icy rivers to get clean and rinse my hair.  As tiny as it is, the shower in the r*pod is just about the best thing ever for camping!  And with all the camper choices out there, it puzzles me that people who choose a pod (and pay a premium for a wet bath and toilet) then talk about not using them or even taking them out.

I don't mean this personally, really.  Too each his (or her) own, absolutely.  I just find these kinds of questions curious.

I can't imagine any harm to the hot water heater in not using it. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
retiredtraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:14am
   I'm with the others wondering why you don't want a shower. No, we're not ganging up on you, just curious. DW and I have a pup (looking at pods now), and a shower for dry camping was a must-have. We camp for several weeks at a time in national parks, and we're 'hard core' hikers, so we need that shower at night.  We used to tent camp too, and did the outside hair washing and inside-tent sponge bath, throwing gray water on the ground. That's a no-no now.

Of course, it's work to manually fill water and to catch and dump gray water.  But, just one more camping task. 
Looking hard at a pod
2006 Jayco 1206 (pup) with slideout, shower,solar
2005 Nissan Xterra (probably going to new Nissan Frontier)
Into hard-core hiking and biking
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:46am
We primarily dry camp when we take the Pod out, and the water heater seems to use very little gas, but it can be annoying to have it light up in the middle of the night while we're sleeping (our is located under the bed of our 177). So a lot of times, I'll turn the switch off before bed, and we'll still have plenty of hot water for dishes when we get up in the morning. Then I'll turn it back on mid-day, knowing that we'll need it again for showers that evening. By taking "military showers", we can usually get four days of dry camping in with a shower each day for the two of us. Since the water heater seems to be very well insulated, we seem to do well with just using it a couple of times a day, just a little bit before we know we're going to want to shower. After that, the water will stay plenty warm for dishes later. Hopefully this gives you some helpful info :) 
Marila
Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 RPod 177
2001 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 2:04pm
If you really don't want it, take it out.  Assuming you have a place to store it.  By taking it out you would gain some storage space.  If later on you decide to sell it just put the heater back in again.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 8:32pm
No reason you can't leave it bypassed, and drained.  Or, just leave it in the circuit and full but drain it at the end of the season.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by janice

I'm wondering if there is any harm in keeping the water heater in permanent bypass position.  After my first summer podding, I have found it is faster to heat up water on the stove for dishes and "bird baths."  I doubt I'll ever use the shower because I'm usually dry camping and conserving water (old habits from my tent-camping days die hard).   Of course I'd have to be careful not to accidently hit the "on" switch.

This subconsciously nagged at me all day... Hot water from the hot water heater is almost instant if you leave it on all the time or plan ahead a little bit.  I leave mine on pretty much the whole time I'm set up at camp.  I might turn it off if I'm going to be gone all day.  I could turn it off more often, I guess, but I don't know that there is a big reason to.

The propane or electricity is only on for a short time whenever the thermostat drops below a certain point.  I suppose since the propane switch is right there on the wall, the temptation is to turn it off until you need it, but why?  You probably don't do that at home.  The water heater is pretty well insulated and it costs very little to heat water that's already hot.  With electronic ignition there isn't even a pilot light.

We dry camp a lot.  Our favorite places mostly don't have hookups at all, so we're used to conserving water too and 30 gallons is an iffy supply for two people in one place for a week, but so far we've done okay most of the time.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 10:11pm
'couple 5 gallon square blue jugs from the wallyworld can help extend your stay time..
 Post Reply Post Reply