Topic ClosedGenerator for Pod 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator for Pod 177
    Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 9:13pm

This past summer ours always cut out at the 8 hour mark, I wish it did last 11 hours.  It was typically in the 80's most of each night.  I have been looking at ways to extend the Yamaha run time - shouldn't be a problem as long as the external tank is elevated.

Note the cap for the 2000 will NOT work with the 2400.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Note the cap for the 2000 will NOT work with the 2400.

Glad I didn't bet too much.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 5:41am
Doug (Techntrek) makes a lot of good points.  We have always used Hondas.  They are, as he said, more expensive, but since we also use them as backups for our home outages, I like that inverters are safer for my computer than a traditional generator.  We have the Ei2000 and its companion unit.  This time of year we can carry only one, since we don't use the A/C.  For hotter months, we load both of them and rig them in sequence.  Again, its an investment because of the need to be able to work (computers) safely at home during outages.  Because we are in "the boonies" we are on the "first out, last on" power grid.
[/URL]
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 9:29am
I'm in the same boat, way out at the edge of the service territory with frequent issues.  We were out for 55 hours after Sandy (minor compared to some, I know).  Neighbors have stories of being out for weeks after ice storms in the 90's.

"Computers need clean electricity" is happily a myth.  They are much more tolerant of voltage and frequency fluctuations than some appliances, like tube-based televisions.   A popular computer magazine did a test of computer power supplies in the early 90's, taking them to low voltage, high voltage, wild frequencies, voltage surges/sags, and most of them still supplied steady outputs.  Modern computer power supplies are even more tolerant due to European regulations and since they can auto-accept 50 or 60 Hz, 120 or 220 volt inputs (with actual minimum and maximums much lower and higher than their name plate ratings).  In fact many of them will also accept DC inputs at similar voltages.  Lots of other consumer electronics have the same power supplies in them like flat screen televisions, cable boxes, etc.
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 3:02pm
There are lots of opinions on this issue.  I use a UPS with my system connected to a generator since my UPS will not keep my system "up" for an extended period.  In some cases the UPS will not "accept" the power from some generators.
[/URL]
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:26pm

I do the same, using a large 4 kw UPS to power most of the house for up to an hour, and then I power the UPS from my Prius once the batteries are drained:  

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?12962-Using-a-Prius-as-a-generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12