R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat would you take on a 2 year road trip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: If I was going to hit the road for 2 years I would want to:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [35.29%]
7 [41.18%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you take on a 2 year road trip?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 8:32am
Lots & Lots of great advice here ... way more than I was anticipating!  Thanks so much!!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by hogone

Thinker, would you do it in your pod?

No reason not to do it in your pod. Spend most time out of pod, see local attractions, meet friends -- they will invite you over.

If you come by our two acres, we have full hookups.. Pod is for sleeping, and personal hygiene. Much better than a tent - especially in bear country.

Disclaimer: Our pod is for sale. Wife's mother just moved in and needs medical care. Camping on hold for a few years.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 3:04am
Originally posted by hogone

Terry:  Just curious.  Did you guys spend time in the northern states during the winter months during your 6 years, or hang south?  You also mentioned the number of RV's wintering, does it get pretty chaotic finding spots in the southern states?  I guess it just takes alot of planning ahead with wanted locations.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I was venturing out for this length of time, I would definitely want to spend some time north during the winter.  Also, did you find it difficult finding good available spots with a 38 footer.  Thanks,  hogone

We headed south in the winter.  Northern campgrounds close for the winter because they have to drain water lines.

In Florida we get the "Snow Birds" in winter.  Texas has "Winter Texans".  They are people that are not full timers but they take their RV's south for the winter to escape the cold.  Between the 2 types that is a lot of RV's.  Most campgrounds get pretty full.  Yep, a lot of planning.

We never really had any problems with our length.  Some of the older campgrounds in national forest etc. have smaller sites though.  There are a couple of books that list campgrounds.  One of the things they put in the books is site length. 

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:36am
Thats sounds great!! We just got back from 37 days straight on our trip to Cape Hatteras, we lover it. The biggest issue was storage, mostly refrigerator space. Dry storage like cans of veggies etc was not bad.
We did get hit with a small coastal storm, 45-50 mph winds, some flooding and rain. We were in the pod for 2 1/2 days straight, had plenty of videos etc and tv so it was not bad.

It would help if your tow vehicle had plenty of storage also, we have a Grand Caravan so we had plenty of extra room for fishing equipment, tools, small air compressor, etc

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 2:18pm
we are currently on the road-been traveling since Sept 6 and will return around the end of November.  We left NC and traveled west-Rocky Mtn Np,Colorado,  then Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and currently in Calif.

we love traveling in the Pod.  Certainly traveling for 2 1/2 months is not like 2 years-but here is what we have learned----

One of the main things that we have found beneficial is an auxillary ice chest-we bought a Engel high performance 65 quart unit.we keep veggies, drinks and fruits in it and it lives at the back of our Ford Expedition.  buying 20 pound block ice lasts about 6 days if we drain the water off each morning. we also have a small ice chest that is available during the day for our lunch, drinks and snacks-it lives between the front and back seats and is easily accessible as we drive.

I think one of the best thing we did was to increase our capacity for boondocking.  There are lots of places in the west to free camp on gov't land (IF the gov't isn't shut down !!).  We added a second battery, a 700 watt inverter (for cell phone and computers primarily)and changed all of the lights to LED.  We also use an LED clamp-on desk light that is plugged into the inverter. I also added several 12 volt receptacles throughout the Pod-there is an amazing array of 12 v accessories and appliances available in both RV and boat/marine stores.

we also use a small, Coleman gas cylinder powered grill almost every night. It is quite compact and stores easily.

We definitely take our bikes with us on our trips.  We also have binoculars, cameras, a small selection of bird books, travel guides and maps in a box.  Day packs, hiking poles and shoes are a must for us.

One of the hardest parts has been to control ourselves and NOT accumulate more stuff in our travels. there are lots of things to buy and take home if you want to.

We have tried to pack the Expedition with as much as possible(small outside chairs, folding table, bike gear, cold/foul weather clothes, tools) and leave the Pod with only the necessary eating,cooking and sleeping equipment.  We pack our food in the pod in square , lidded containers marked breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and staples-this helps in our organization.

we find that between the cell phone(with apps) and our Garmin GPS we have plenty of info regarding camp sites, gas, directions, etc.  The cell phone and computer are essential for communications, banking and email. A reliable internet access is important for bill payments.  Records in digital format(and a paper backup) are essential.

we  try to boondock as much as possible. we usually stay at an RV park/resort about every 4 or 5 days for showers, laundry and refilling/dumping. sometimes more frequently depending on location, weather and how we feel.

I think a major part of any long distance or long term endeavor would be a road side assistance plan.  We have the Good Sam Club plan, have used it and wouldn't be without it.

I think you will also need an assortment of electrical adapters(110, 30 amp/50 amp, etc), an electrical extension cord and 2 water hoses.  some sites have the services further than the standard 25' cords/hoses will reach.  Take several flashlights including the type that has an elastic band that goes around your head to make it hands-free.

that's about all I can think of right now--good luck and safe travels
Vann
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 10:48pm
A lot of good info Van. also duct tape and a wine bottle cork screw.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 10:27am
Decked out class C Sprinter Van would be my choice.
enjoy the fresh air
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 12:30pm
A 12-volt cooler with the adapter (they come in an array of sizes and shapes) was invaluable for us. Ice is expensive, messy and a pain. We put all of our beverages and bottled items in that cooler in the Durango.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12