FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarranty claim rejected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warranty claim rejected
    Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 8:27pm
Need some experienced help here --
We had water showing up on the shower floor. I brought it to the dealer who found leaks on the roof around the pipes, etc. He caulked them up and said I was good to go. Forest River denied the warranty work saying it wasn't faulty workmanship, just normal wear and tear. Has anyone had any dealings with them on contesting warranty claims?

Also had an issue with the HW heater. When I would go to start it on AC, I would hear the igniter trying to light the gas (which was off). Dealer claims that this is the way the heater is supposed to operate, but I don't remember this happening in the past. Any experience out there?
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:06pm

Can't help you with the warranty issue, I was denied on something during my 2nd year (I had purchased the extended warranty) but since it was minor I didn't fight it.

If the AC switch is on but the gas switch is off, the igniter should not activate.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:14am
My guess is the WH igniter should activate if the WH switch inside the camper is on. That switch must be off, even though the LP gas bottle valve is off, to inhibit the igniter.

On the warranty, I've had good response on incorrect tanks, shower leaks, and a faulty toilet seal. It seems like improperly sealed piping on a 2013 unit should be a workmanship/warranty issue, but depending on the cost of the repair, it may not be worth you time to fight it. FR factory is very slow on such things.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 8:17pm
While caulking and seals and etc. are normal maintenance items, your RV seems too new to have anything other than very minor leaks. I can see the dealer's point if we're talking about a few dribbles from a dried up seal, but if we're talking about water pouring in around every roof opening in the shower, that's another thing altogether. I'd be interested to know exactly how much leaking we're talkin' here.

If you feel the leaks were more than normal maintenance, and your RV hasn't been obviously rolled over or had a tree fall on it, I urge you to call FR and speak to them yourself. I and many others on the rPod forums have had lots of positive experiences when dealing with Forest River directly. In some cases, FR has directed their customers to a different dealer after the first one dropped the ball on a service issue. Lots of us have had some pretty big issues repaired well out of warranty on FR's dime. It's worth a couple of phone calls, anyway.

I also say this because my service experiences with several dealers has been mostly negative. I would describe it as varying levels of incompetence mixed with outright lies. They say there's some good ones out there. I've heard about 'em - never actually seen one myself. Like Sasquatch.

Please give more details and if you call FR, let us know what they say. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 9:09pm
Methinks I figured out the HW heater. I hit the AC switch on the unit and ALSO hit the switch inside the pod. Don't know why I did that; I hadn't ever done it before, but I did - probably in haste since I only use the AC in the driveway to get the water hot before a trip. I can't test it until the spring since I already drained it and pinked the system for the winter. BTW - used most of the 2 gallons and put the remainder where it won't freeze.

The "not under warranty" charge came to $168.38. That's a tank and a half of gas! That's worth a call or two to FR. I'll keep y'all posted.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
 Post Reply Post Reply