R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScary event

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scary event
    Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 9:43am
We were on our way out of town with the Dawgpod and stopped to get lunch. While circling the parking lot, my husband drove over a small curb with one wheel of the pod. Then went we went over a small speed bump (slowly) and the hitch released and dropped the rPod.! We were stunned! We had both checked the hitch lever. Not only was it in the down position but it was secured in that position with a pin lock! So... What happened? Was going over a curb or speed bump sufficient torque to pop the ball out of the socket? We rehitched it and proceeded and had no more problems but are now very nervous. Any words of wisdoms?
sandlapper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 11:04am
I never heard of this happening for no reason. The only thing I can think of is are you sure you have the correct size ball  for your R Pod? Otherwise that baffles me.
sandlapper
StarPod
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 12:24pm
Do you have a 2" ball? Was it fully on the ball before you left? I normally will hook up to the ball and crank back up slightly to make sure it is seated correctly.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Do you have a 2" ball? Was it fully on the ball before you left? I normally will hook up to the ball and crank back up slightly to make sure it is seated correctly.

Yup this is one of the best ways to make sure you are actually locked.  Set it and then jack back up until you see your TV raise slightly.  Only then can you 100% be sure it's locked securely.

This is not the first time owners have had this happening, lots of stories like this over the years here.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 2:52pm
  I would not be nervous, I agree with the above posts you most likely did not have it hitched properly or you could have a 17/8 ball. I to have never known this to happen where it was not human error. The good thing is that no harm was done and you now know to make sure the hitch is secured properly before traveling. Happy camping!    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 2:55pm
+1 to all the above.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

I would not be nervous, I agree with the above posts you most likely did not have it hitched properly or you could have a 17/8 ball. I to have never known this to happen where it was not human error. The good thing is that no harm was done and you now know to make sure the hitch is secured properly before traveling. Happy camping!    David

Totally agree... cannot happen when all is done correctly. As stated, look first at the ball size. To the untrained eye it is difficult to tell the difference in 1 7/8 vs 2 inch balls unless they are side by side. There should be markings on the ball.

If the ball is correct, then the hitch was not latched and locked.
Put the latch down until it clicks
Insert locking pin horizontally through the latch.

After the "bump" with the trailer bouncing off, the latch could have fallen into the down position thus giving the false impression that it had been down during the event.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 7:45pm
It sounds like it was in fact latched with the pin in place.  What happens is it appears the ball is all the way in the socket but instead it is sitting on the bottom of the latch.  Visually there is little difference.  As mentioned already, lifting the rear of the TV higher than its non-towing position confirms it is properly latched.  Remember it sags when the pod is attached so just lifting it back to where it started doesn't prove anything.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 10:11pm
That is one of the side benefits of using a standard WDH.  You have to raise the tongue and the hitch considerably higher than normal to properly attach the bars.  
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 10:39pm
The same thing happened to us also, we thought the trailer was down on the ball.  At the time I thought the locking lever closed to "easily" .  Now I look for some resistance when pushing the lever down to insert the pin through the hole.  But I will now also after closing lever and inserting pin, try to crank up the TV to see if the tongue slides off the ball.  That is a good way to tell if you are really locked onto the hitch.  We were very lucky there was no damage at all to anything.  Thanks fellow podders.Thumbs Up
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>