R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSecond Propane Tank added.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Propane Tank added.
    Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 5:05pm
In addition to adding an additional battery I am also in the process of adding an additional propane tank. Has anyone done this type of mod? If so what kind of results have you had and hat successes, failures have you had? I am new to this, just bought RPod 171, 2010, and am trying to do a lot of different modifications. I've read on the forum where someone recommended using a marine switch. If anyone can help with feedback, pro's and con's, that would be great.

Newbie  :) 
The Vintage Glamper
Lilly Pod
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 5:07pm
I have 2 tanks on my 177 and am totally amazed how long 1 tank lasts.  Even with all the cold temperature camping we do, as well as cooking on the stove, 1 tank will last nearly a year !  So the second tank is there when the inevitable happens.  Sorry, can't personally help you about the marine switch; the oversized left hand threaded "nut" that came with the unit is so easy to switch that I never bothered to purchase a switch.  I went outside a while ago to see how long it takes to switch tanks . . . . less than 1 minute and the nice plus - no tools necessary for the job.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 6:04pm
Rather than add to the tongue weight of my 177, which has two batteries, I content myself with one tank.  I carry a smaller propane tank to run my Camp Chef Pro 60.  When camping and away from propane suppliers, I will switch out and use this small tank to tide me over if I exhaust the main tank.
sailo25 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 8:03pm
The marine switch I guess is for the batteries. I have used them on a sailboat they are not cheap but can be used for disconnecting the battery as well as switching between the two batteries depending on which switch you buy.
Paul & Karie
2009 151
2013 Honda Pilot
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 10:05pm
We have just 1 tank on the tongue, but we carry a 5 gallon tank in our truck as  a spare IF we are going for a long time or we think it will be really cold.  the 5 pound tank is about the size of a gallon jug.We  found that the standard tank lasts a long time under normal cooking(breakfast coffee and full dinner) and refrigerator usage.  I think the propane heater is the largest gas guzzler in the Pod.  Even with the heat on, it still lasted about 3 weeks for us on our extended trip.  We were always able to find propane-either a place to refill our tank or an exchange location throughout our trip-and we were in some remote areas as well as urban. .

I would think about saving the tongue weight  unless you need to be heavier.

Vann
 Post Reply Post Reply