Topic Closednew member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member
    Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:45am
I am a new member.  I had an older rpod (several years back) but too small for me.

However, after looking at the newer 178 decided to get one (a 2014 178).  Maiden two day camping trip was great (rained like crazy and no leaks at all).  Every thing worked great except the black water flush which would not allow any water to enter the tank.  Service department at my dealer stated most likely the factory installed a valve that doesn't allow any back flow from the tank to occur was installed backwards which would not allow any fresh water to enter the flush line.  Stated that have had a couple like this occur and it is a simple fix when I bring it in to the dealer.

Really like the trailer and my 2011 Tundra with the smaller 4.6 liter V8 tows it like a dream.  Got 13 MPG towing which I think is just fine.  I checked the weight of the trailer (has all factory options) with my camping gear in it with no water in any tanks and it weights in at 2,985 lbs.  Can't wait for next trip out.  Had to winterize for now as it is really cold here for the next week or so.

Rphelps
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 12:15pm
Yes there is a back flow valve accessible behind the sink usually.  Shouldn't take them any time at all to swap it around for you!

Congratulations on the 178 and welcome to podding again!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 9:33pm
Welcome.  Back to the Future pod-style.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 8:12am
Welcome to the forum.

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 8:43am
Welcome. Look for our Roundup next year. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 9:00am
Welcome chiman. I'm just north of ya in WA State, and also tow with a 4.6 Tundra. It's a super match. Our PNW is not an easy towing area, but our lil' 4.6's handle it great. I've hand figured nearly every tank of gas for the last 52 years, and towed 5 different Travel trailers with the longest being 22'. Some complain about Pod mpg, but our Pod and 4.6 Tundra have given us the best mpg of any of our towing combos.

FYI When towing, I pull with 6th locked out, usually in 5th, but often in 4th when pulling elevation. This really eases torque converter lock and unlock, and according to my ScanGauge helps control transmission temperature fluctuations.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about our towing combo, as we have a lot of trips in, under a variety of conditions.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 10:11am
Thanks to all for the welcome.

Kickstart  --  Boy is it cold here this morning.  20 degrees in McMinnville Oregon. 

My Tundra has the tow pack which includes the tow haul switch which I turn on when towing.  I believe it locks out sixth gear and keeps the engine in the right range under all conditions.  Seems to work well.  I also have the factory trans temp gauge and it never has moved off its normal range.

I have had several back operations and really don't like the heavy stinger if one uses a WDH and see no need for one with the truck.  The only mod I am looking at for the truck is a set of better shocks to tighten up the suspension more.  Looking at the Rancho brand shocks.

Love the trailer and looking forward to some camping and fishing when this cold spell breaks and we get a little rain.  I fly fish for steelhead and right now we need some rain to bring the fish into the coastal rivers.  Won't be long before I turn 69 years old so the old joints get a little colder than they used to but still out there wading the rivers in search of the steelies!

Perhaps we might meet some day.

Rphelps
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 11:26am
Cold? Our high temp for today is -15 F and getting colder.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 11:43am
well at least you get to ice fish!!!!!
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by chiman

Thanks to all for the welcome.Kickstart  --  Boy is it cold here this morning.  20 degrees in McMinnville Oregon.  My Tundra has the tow pack which includes the tow haul switch which I turn on when towing.  I believe it locks out sixth gear and keeps the engine in the right range under all conditions.  Seems to work well.  I also have the factory trans temp gauge and it never has moved off its normal range.I have had several back operations and really don't like the heavy stinger if one uses a WDH and see no need for one with the truck.  The only mod I am looking at for the truck is a set of better shocks to tighten up the suspension more.  Looking at the Rancho brand shocks.Love the trailer and looking forward to some camping and fishing when this cold spell breaks and we get a little rain.  I fly fish for steelhead and right now we need some rain to bring the fish into the coastal rivers.  Won't be long before I turn 69 years old so the old joints get a little colder than they used to but still out there wading the rivers in search of the steelies!Perhaps we might meet some day.Rphelps

Boy, do you live in a super little town. My sister in law lives there also. There's nothin' like a small college town! I want to return and Spruce Goose it some day.

For specific 4.6 towing stuff, you might want to visit Tundratalk.net and Tundrasolutions.com. I've learned lots at these sites. Also 6th does not lock out in Tow/haul. I have T/H, too. It does only come into play in foothills and rollers, though, for the most part. The trans temp gauge will slowly raise until it reaches normal operating temps of 185 to 195 degrees, and then not move until it reaches in excess of 260 degrees when the red over temp light would also blink on. This makes the trans temp gauge little more than a fancy idiot light. Many vehicles have this dubious gauge set up this way.

At 69, we're the same age. Remember what Betty Davis said. "Growing old isn't for wimps." Sorry, don't wanna sound pushy with the 4.6 stuff. Just lettin' ya know what's worked for me. Pods & Tundra 4.6's are really a great tow combo! Have fun!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>