Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member
    Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 6:02pm
Hi Kickstart--

I have visited the sites in the past which you suggested.  Read lots on the towing with a 4.6 and other items.  Lots of opinions like all forum sites.  My tow haul seems to work just fine.  The only time I have seen it perhaps shift into sixth is going down hill when there is really not much of a load on the truck when towing.  The rest of the time is is mainly in 5th gear unless going up hills and then it will shift down to the right gear.  I have tried using the manual or S mode when towing and with the tow haul switch off.  Didn't really see much difference at all.  Even if you place it in 5th gear it will still downshift to next lower gear by itself for example as it starts up a hill and so on.  Perhaps I am missing something but really don't see the advantages.

As to the trans gauge; mine does move up some from its normal setting when I am climbing hills with the trailer, but has never gotten in the range you suggest or the warning light going off.  If yours never moves at all when towing up hills (beyond the normal mark) then you might want to have it checked out as mine does move.

Right now I am looking for some shocks to help stiffen up the suspension (especially the rear).  I do not have the TRD package so the stock shocks don't handle the trailer going over rolling pavement or bumps the way I want.

Rphelps
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
Kickstart View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 6:53pm
Agreed, my shocks aren't anything to write home about either. I've also used Rancho shocks and Eddelbrocks w/past trucks and been satisfied. I've installed a TRD rear bar, but I don't drive/tow aggressively enough to notice much difference. My WDH is a help with firming up tow performance. Previous to the Tundra, I towed the Pod with a TRD Tacoma, and it was also pretty lightly sprung in the rear. Hope the Ranchos do well for ya. Let me know how that works out, as I may be interested in biting that bullet, too.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12