Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas > Crock pot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrockpot safety?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crockpot safety?
    Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 11:23am
1.5 qt is pretty small.. 6 cups. depends on how you use it. they are not expensive, if in the future you find you need something bigger, your not out a lot, and the small one will store inside the larger.. (pod thinkin' right there Wink)

We use a cooler for our drinks.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 12:42pm
Do you have problems with theft or tampering of beverages from your coolers? G thinks teenagers will loot beer and damage the pod if no beer is found in the coolers, so we keep his precious booze in the fridge.

We're almost always out and about during the day and don't fancy listening to a cooler slosh about in the back of the car. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 2:57pm
We have never had an issue. Not tent camping, or in the TT's. In fact, at Goshen last year, we had the cooler in the dome, and when we left, after a week of camping, we had 10 times as much beer as we came with. LOL. You kinda had to be there, but that is what happened.

If I was really worried about my beverages while away from the camper, I would just set the cooler up in the camper and lock it inside, but honestly, I have never known of anyone tampering with another campers cooler. I am SURE it has happened, but we have lots of nights camping, never known of it happeneing around us.

We have friends who leave a YETI or two out all the time, never known them to have an issue, and if it was me I would be more worried about the cooler itself, rather than the contents..
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by furpod

We have never had an issue. Not tent camping, or in the TT's. In fact, at Goshen last year, we had the cooler in the dome, and when we left, after a week of camping, we had 10 times as much beer as we came with. LOL. You kinda had to be there, but that is what happened.

If I was really worried about my beverages while away from the camper, I would just set the cooler up in the camper and lock it inside, but honestly, I have never known of anyone tampering with another campers cooler. I am SURE it has happened, but we have lots of nights camping, never known of it happeneing around us.

Ditto here.  As a general rule I have never had any issues with missing beverages, or for that matter, anything else being taken from our site.  I do secure my generators if I am going to be away because the Honda's are easily removed.  At one campsite we had some day laborers who were doing some cleanup work in the state park and I didn't leave while they were nearby.  No need to tempt fate.
[/URL]
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 3:08pm
beer, rum, vodka, "glasses of wine" they are all ALWAYS disappearing from our cooler.  it's the biggest concern and worry we have when we camp.

ConfusedEmbarrassedTongueSmileBig smileLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 9:34pm
We use a crock pot all the time while podding. Saves having to cook after a long day of relaxing! Ditto what Techntrek says- we cook outside so it doesn't smell up the pod. I've never had a problem with animals, human or otherwise. I have found that campgrounds are generally safe to leave your belongings without worrying. Use common sense about valuables, but I wouldn't worry about camping gear. I've been camping for 20 years and have never had a problem. Happy podding and crock-potting!

Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 6:23pm
What size slow cooker is best for 2 people with no leftovers?  I tend to prefer oval as it can fit long cuts and the liquid comes up higher on the meat however the 2qt size seems to only be available in the round shape.  The 3qt seems quite large or do I actually need that room for liquid?  As I haven;t really used a slow cooker much, I'm not sure how the recipes are adapted.  I recorded the alton Brown Good Eats episode on slow cookers and the lasagna sounds really good Wink

We also don't have the microwave/convection oven so reheating certain foods can be a pain, hence the need for almost no leftovers.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:13pm
The one you posted on the last page looks about the size of the one we keep in the pod.  Not much in leftovers.  We have two that are about twice that size in the house.  They will fit a full chicken.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 8:58pm
If you have leftovers, just reheat them in the crockpot the next day on low.
My wife cooks a beef roast, seasoned with onion soup mix, plus some water, in one all day while we are at work. In the evening she shreds it & mixes Mississippi BBQ sauce in it & we have sandwiches for days.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 8:59pm
We cook bean soup all day in it too.....
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>