FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod 176 and 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod 176 and 177
    Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 5:37pm
How do the tip outs operate - electrical? elbow grease?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Phil H

How do the tip outs operate - electrical? elbow grease?
They are motorized.  I've never looked at the underside / guts, but I'm assuming motor / gear reducer / worm screw for the drive.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 9:56pm
Interesting that the bunks in the 176 lose about a foot of width- they are about the same size as the bunks in the 152.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Tusten Traveler

Interesting that the bunks in the 176 lose about a foot of width- they are about the same size as the bunks in the 152.

I agree, I just ran across this and wasn't aware they were coming out with these models.
Initially the 176 looked perfect until I saw the bunk sizes.
I wish they would lose the "entertainment center" and make the bunks nearly as big as the bunks in the 172.
Speaking only for myself, I don't want a TV or Radio (outside of a weather radio) when I am camping.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 10:29pm
Just to clear up the terms being thrown around here.  A "tip-out" is found on popups, where only the tenting leans out from the box, usually so that the kitchenette can lift up and over the edge of the box to give some more room.  The 'pods have slide-outs.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 6:25am
We are contemplating changing our recently ordered 171 to a 177. It looks like the kitchen area will be narrower (less counterspace) and shorter (less overhead and under cabinet space) than a comparable 171 so that everything will fit in the 55" slide out - it would be interesting to see a side plan schematic to know how much you'd be giving up for the extra floor space - does anyone know how much far the slide out slides out? it looks like maybe 18-20 inches?
One plus of this new design would be that the crude looking cut out for shower access panel visible as soon as you enter the 171 would now be "hidden" on the bed side.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 8:37am
I also went through the process of wondering if I am seeing anything here that would make me change my 174 order. As I recall from the rental, the slide out gives you about 12 - 18 extra inches only- much less than the typical slide out in a bigger unit, but really made a difference for us. I like having a sofa to curl up and read at night- a modification of the 173 would have been perfect for me with a dinette conversion in the rear and a large jack knife sofa in the front with the kitchen slide out (Hey FR....a 178???).
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Gomjabber

Originally posted by Tusten Traveler

I agree, I just ran across this and wasn't aware they were coming out with these models.
Initially the 176 looked perfect until I saw the bunk sizes.
I wish they would lose the "entertainment center" and make the bunks nearly as big as the bunks in the 172.
Speaking only for myself, I don't want a TV or Radio (outside of a weather radio) when I am camping.

We agree!   Actually, when I saw the 176, I emailed my wife right away.  When we looked at it closer that night, with plans of moving forward with purchasing the 176, we realized the bunks were a lot narrower. 

We have little boys right now, but plan on having our r-pod for quite a while.  As they get bigger & start bringing a couple of friends, the extra foot in width could make a big difference.

As for the entertainment center, many people may find that a plus.  But we never watch TV when camping.  We mostly weekend camp, and we're too busy spending time outdoors.  We'd rather have the extra bunk bed space.

Overall, both are great new designs.  Makes me glad to know the r-pods are becoming as popular as they are.  As someone else said, maybe we'll be seeing a model 178 soon.  Wink

Jared & Stacie
McKinney, TX

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 1:02pm
Indeed, my entertainment center starts at the exit of the camper!
We are weekend campers too with an odd week now and again.
We won't be buying until early spring next year so I guess I can wait and see how things turn out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 2:41pm
Can someone tell me what the opening size is of the slide out of a 174 or 175. We are going to look at Outbounds's 171 tomorrow and I'd like to try and figure out how much cabinet and counter space we'd be losing for the kitchen to fit in the slide out of the 177. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>