R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrdome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rdome
    Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 5:07pm
Ok, I know there is a topic on this already. I can't find what I wanted, so here's my question...
We set up the rdome and found that it did nothing to block the sun or heat.It was more like a sauna than anything. Why FR would do this is beyond me. Has anyone done any mods to correct this?
We considered buying the silver reflective fabric and sewing it to the top. We also thought about buying an easy up and doing the same. Are there any other suggestions?
Thanks!!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 5:20pm
Ok, the dome is a tent with one side being the pod. Unless you are in the shade of a tree, the sun will beat down on it. It will get hot inside but it will block the sun and you will be in the shade. If you want, raise the 2 side flaps and/or take off the front side. We've put our dome up and love it for what it is. A sun, rain blocker, insect protector (ok 99% )extra room provider. All in all its a
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 5:47pm
I will admit it isn't for everybody.. but we "don't leave home without it".

If the campsite has no shade it will be hot inside, just like a tent. If the breeze is from the wrong direction, the air inside will be still, like a tent.

It is more functional during cool or cold weather camping, or anytime it rains.. during the heat and sun of August..

You can roll all the windows up for more air flow, and/or you can unzip and remove the two sides that come off.. other than that.. well.. it is what it is.

If it's to miserable in the dome.. well.. go for a walk.. or go inside and read.. or go to the pool/lake/etc.. move your chairs to a shady spot.. etc etc..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:22am
EZ-ups include a silver lining in the roof which blocks most of the infrared from above.  Since the dome doesn't have this layer I agree it can be very warm underneath when in full sun, even with the sides open and a fan blowing on you.  For shade we rely on our EZ-ups.  As furpod said, the Dome is better for cooler weather and rain protection.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 10:54am
In hot temps ours stays rolled up completely with the front door unzipped and rolled to the side so that we can close it if rain were to come.

We sit in ours under no shade in the middle of August like this with just a fan to blow some air on our faces. Works quite well.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:44pm
Have always used ours in the heat, in Arizona it was our only shade. We have NEVER had the sides down or the front on even here in Missouri as I know that it would hold to much heat and humidity on the inside.
   Like ron-whitt we love it for what it is, an awning would be more convenient. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:47pm
Yeah, I figured the same. I was looking to see if anyone had modded their rdome to make it like an ez-up. Has anyone attempted to sew a fabric on or attach something to it? We thought about doing both or either. Just looking for suggestions.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply