Topic ClosedYellowstone Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bodie55 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowstone Questions
    Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 5:03pm
For us it's important to bring the right 'brand' of snacks and cold meats and cheese for our picky children. You may not have that problem, but we're spoiled with access to Trade Joe's and local italian delis. You will not find Italian salami anywhere in that part of the county. Well, except at a winery we visited in the Black Hills, but I wasn't paying their prices:) American salami is not the same... Also, if you have any food items you prefer to be organic, bring some with you.

They do have a great selection of local beers, though! Always fun for us to try the local brew.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 4:36pm
Looking forward to it!  Now we just need to plan out the final week as we head east from Yellowstone.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 3:38pm
We love our Yeti as well! We added a second basket to keep more stuff off of the ice. Ours acts a lot like an old "steamer trunk" in that we add stickers from places we've been and gear we buy.

Techntrek: You should like the Canyon area. It's central, has some of the best sights (in my opinion) and has good services around. We've had good experiences at the lodge restaurant. On one trip, we added the phrase "after-dinner libations" to our catalog of sayings based on the menu there. The food is overpriced, but pretty much wherever you go in the park you'll find the same. The visitor center at the Canyon area is my personal favorite.

The brink of the lower falls is a must see, but it is quite a hike down. It's not the down part that's hard: it's the coming back up! The power of the water through such a narrow spot never ceases to amaze me and remind me how small we really are.

The Hayden Valley just south of the Canyon area is a popular area to see wildlife. You will be able to tell the people who just arrived as they will always stop to gawk at the bison. Personally, I skip them at this point: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30897171@N04/12056741763/. That was last year as we arrived... We really didn't want the company but it's kind of like that old joke about a gorilla doing whatever it wants!

Anyway, back to the thoughts: I prefer Hayden Valley for wildlife. It doesn't get the crowds, and we saw MUCH more wildlife than anywhere else in the park. For example, we saw a black bear and a grizzly bear at the at the same time, not much more than 100-150 yards apart. It's also the best area to get a chance at seeing wolves.
2010 R-Pod 152
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 1:13pm
Good advice regarding carrying an ice cooler for basic foodstuffs that probably will cost less when purchased in a larger city.  In terms of the Yellowstone Park area, the best food prices are found in the larger big-box stores in Billings, Livingston, or Bozeman.  Jackson, WY, not so much because you are dealing with a sales tax whereas Montana doesn't have a sales tax.

In our extended, multi-week trips, we always carry one or two large ice coolers with food, in addition to what we can carry in our Pod refrigerator, making us virtually self-sufficient.   My only caveat with your suggestion regards ice cubes.  We have found that block ice last longer, cools better, and is easier to manage than cubes.  However, commercial block ice is usually manufactured from ice cubes that are pressed or frozen into blocks.  Commercial blocks, therefore, don't last in the cooler as long as block ice that you make at home in your own freezer.  We make ours by freezing water in empty milk cartons or even larger disposable plastic containers.  

Of course, having a good cooler, such as the Yeti, preserve block ice from any source longer.  We found that cheaper Coleman coolers can be brought up to Yeti standards by duct-taping or gluing insulating closed cell foam insulation to the cooler sides, bottom, and top.  It isn't pretty but it works.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 11:47am
I was very happy we could fit in Yellowstone this time around, I didn't think we would have the time.  It was my favorite stop when my parents took us around the US in '86. 
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 11:14am
You might want to consider a really big ice chest. We took a two week trip last summer to a few out of the way places. Stock up on all your perishables, vegetables, dairy, meat, etc. at one of the larger towns before heading to your destination. Might also want to consider buying ice in cube form and repackaging it into the bags with the gripper tops. Then distribute around the items that have to be kept cold. Nothing like trying to find something in a cooler full of very cold water. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 9:33pm
You will love it!  Yellowstone is beautiful and weird at the same time, with the geothermal elements.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 7:47pm
Thanks for all the info here, we just booked 3 nights at Canyon Campground in July. 
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 3:44pm
JK Pod:

I would fly into Bozeman, MT (my town) which is served by most of the major airlines in this part of the West.  Your daughter probably can catch a direct flight from LA of San F. to Bozeman, but Alaskan airline routes through Seattle, I believe.  
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 3:07pm
We were there two summer ago. There was an overpriced McD's. Saw many local eateries. We shopped at the two grocers in town. There was a greater variety of food and shopping choices in Cody on our trip last summer (we were just passing through) but a farther drive into the park. If you're picnic people, you can find adequate choices at the grocers and avoid the cooking.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>