Topic ClosedOregon,Washington Area - Event Date: 06 Sep 2014 - 30 Sep 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Oregon,Washington Area
    Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 10:20pm
Ying YangBetween family obligations will try to see some of Oregon and Washington. Places like coastline, Crater Lake, Columbia Gorge, Astoria, Olympic Pen., Mt. St. Helens; but I really have no idea how much time is needed to see such places. If someone out there is familiar with these places any info is greatly appreciated.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
George and Linda
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:04pm
I really don't know...yet...but did just book 2 nights at Cougar Rock Campground at Mt. Ranier National Park and 3 nights at Kalaloch Campground in Olympic National Park. before heading back toward East Coast. Booked both exactly six months prior to arrival in July and they were just about full.

The place looks beautiful!

-fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 12:13am
Smile

Fred,
Thanks for the help.

George
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 12:34am
I live on the Olympic Peninsula, and spend most of my camping time out here. Do a search of my posts on this site for last summer, as I pointed out some of the better parks out here for someone else who also was asking at that time. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Seaquest St Park is a good home base for exploring the Mt St. Helens area, but it's only a fair park. On the Washington side, Maryhill St. Park is a nice park on the Columbia Gorge. The Oregon side of the gorge has a better highway, and most Oregon St. Parks are better than WA State ones, but I'm not good for specifics.

Fwunder is correct--tough to get spots w/out reservations during tourist season. And fwunder, Couger Rock is old, tight spots, but nice. Several years ago I backpacked around Mt Rainier with my son (Wonderland Trail/93 miles)--one of the highlights of my life. You'll find lots of great hiking in the Cougar Rock area if you wish. Also, Beach trail 6 (I think) is wonderful for tidal pool exploring at Kalaloch.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
MTB Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 8:13am
Crater lake is spectacular, and although it's a bit out of the way, it's well worth it in my opinion--the scene is like no other. Although depending on when you're planning to go, the road can sometimes still be closed into June and even July from snow. 
The Oregon coast is equally as impressive, and one of my favorite highways is state route 42 between Winston (just south of Roseburg) and Bandon or Coos Bay. The highway parallels the Umpqua river most of the way and is relatively flat--no trouble at all to tow our pod on. I've stayed at almost all of the Oregon state parks along the coast at one time or another, and they have all been extremely clean with excellent shower facilities, and most are either right on or right near the beach. They do take reservations, but they also keep a certain percentage of their sites open for first-come-first-serve. If you're unable to get into the state parks, I've also stayed at Bastendorf County Park just out of Coos Bay, and it's a great park. 

It'll definitely take some time to go from Crater Lake over to the coast, up the coast and back over to the gorge, so depending on how much time you have, you might be happier to omit one of the destinations so you're not spending all day behind the wheel (although it would be a tough choice to decide which one to omit!). As for the gorge, it is beautiful to drive through. If you do want to stop at Multnomah falls (which is another worth-it destination), I would highly recommending leaving the pod elsewhere. There are very few RV spots, and the parking lot is packed every day of the week through the summer. You also wouldn't want to take it on the old highway if you want to visit crown point, which is a popular lookout/observatory area, as the road is extremely narrow and curvy in that area. 

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time. Oregon is a beautiful state, and you should have great weather in the summer and fall. Good luck!
Marila

Pete & Marila
Sacramento, CA
2012 RPod 177
2001 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 1:30pm
SmileMTB POD,

Thanks for the info, really appreciate the help.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
geelse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 1:35pm
Smile Kickstart,

Thank you for the info, especially about the Mt. St Helens area. Appreciate the help.
See America First
2013 R-POD 177 HRE
George and Linda
bc matell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 7:50pm
If you want the Oregon Coast try Nahelam Bay State park,I think I spelled that right. The town of Manzinita is very close by. The BEST pizza and Mexican food! The beach is a beautiful sand beach with 7 miles of it. If you have dogs they can go off leash on the beach.Check it out on line at Oregon State Parks.com
TV 2012 Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl
Misha the Lab
Loving life and living it!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 9:04pm
This evening I discovered this site:

Fabulous information and picture galleries!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 11:25pm
Yup, that's where I live, and have hiked, backpacked, paddled and Pod camped extensively out here over the years. Unfortunately age and infirmities are now pretty much limiting me to the Pod. Lotsa cool places, but this is Washington, so have rain gear available year round.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply