Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CharlieM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WiFi Connection
    Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 12:08pm
Bob,

Some comments from my experience: Most campground WiFi systems are useless. They have limited WiFi coverage, are overloaded, and/or have a limited data connection to the internet server. With two iPhones, a computer and an iPad they are very disappointing. 

I have had good luck with the ATT mobile Hotspot, but Verizon has a competing product called MiFi. Rumor has it that Verizon has better coverage off the highways, but I can't speak from experience. I do have a Wilson iPhone amplifier/repeater with separate antenna because the iPhone has no external antenna connector. It worked well inside the fiberglass R-POD and I now have the external antenna mounted on the roof of my aluminum skinned Camplite 21RBS. A data plan is required and it works well in 3G/4G areas. I don't have good data yet where 3G/4G is not available. I suspect usable, but slower.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:56am
Bob,

We need/want to stay connected as much as possible while traveling with two iPhones, iPad and two laptops. There are a number of options available these days. For us, so far, using the iPad as a mobile hotspot (ATT) has been the most effective outside of public and paid hotspots. Do be aware of privacy risks when using any public hotspot.

My experience with file sharing has been that both Google Drive and DropBox are very effective and convenient for both home office and remote.

A good presentation of the subject:

-fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 10:22am
When camping I need to connect to my office via a WiFi connection. I was wondering if anyone has used their phone as a hotspot and how effective it was. I will need to upload and download files. I know most rural areas have only 1G speed. We would like to use more primitive campgrounds but have been limited to private ones with WiFi. Any help would be appreciated. I know that each area has different connection strengths or none at all. Suggestions? I know that many of the fast food franchises so offer free wifi, but kind of inconvenient to lug a printer to the locations. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123