Topic ClosedWiFi Connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WiFi Connection
    Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 5:08pm
Techntrek, I've got hotspot built into my Verizon also but they charge for the service either on daily basis or full time. Foxfi is $9 a year with unlimited useage.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 8:29pm
Eventually they will do traffic analysis and will ding you for not paying for the hotspot capability.  I did this for years on my phone and my wife's phone until AT&T sent us both emails saying they had it figured out. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
retireclose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 8:03am
We use one our cell phones (Verizon) as a hotspot and both laptops can connect.  of course you have to have 3g or 4g data plan.  Works great for us.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 9:20am
Just to add to the mix: What we currently pay.

FamilyTalk Nation 550 (grandfathered plan)
2 iPhones. One with 2GB data, one with 3GB data
$132.08/month

When we travel, we buy a 30 day block of data and tethering (hotspot) for iPad
$50.00 for 5GB 30 days

That total of 10GB of data per month is really not very much if you are not careful and must be managed. We have, rarely, gone over the data limit on one of the devices and had to pay another $10.00 for an additional gig. Biggest data hogs for us are picture/movie uploading, NPR Radio (almost always on), evening news video podcasts and FaceTime (Apples's version of Skype).

I do like the 30 day deal for the iPad data/hotspot. Just got to remember to turn it off or they will automatically bill you for another 30 days. 

At least around where we have traveled (mostly locally - mid atlantic/northeast) ATT coverage has been fine. In fact, woke up @ home the other day to discover we went from 3G/4G to LTE overnight. LTE is fast.

Although we do have remote desktop capability, I rarely if ever find it necessary with so many cloud service options - Google Docs, iCloud iWork apps, Office 365, etc.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 9:50am
Until this month we have had a similar plan with AT&T including the grandfathered 550 family talk plan with 2 iPhones. We also temporarily upgraded to the 5GB plan with tethering for trips. However this month I am switching to their new Mobile Share Value plan. We use very little data when at home (home WiFi in use) so we can cut back to 300MB combined shared data, then temporarily upgrade to anything we want for trips. Additional GBs are cheaper, the $10 second line charge disappears, and there is a $15/iPhone discount if your contract is completed or you own your phones. And you can tether with any data plan, even 300 MB. Of course, figuring  it out from their web site is a challenge (like IBM documentation: clear if previously understood), but it might be worth it. The results for us will be a lower annual cost and greater flexibility on the road.

And no, I don't work for AT&T. I'm just cheap.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 10:33am
Thanks Charlie. I'll have to look at it again. I might have to find a 12 year old or Phd w/spreadsheet to help me figure it out! Almost as bad as the Comcast bill - so glad I cut that cord!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 11:27am
Fwunder sent me a terrific link to a book on Wifi and cellular for RV'ers. Cleared up some questions, and help steer me to the answers. There was a section that covered "boosters" or more correctly called repeaters. Your cell phone and your tablet typically have a transmitter that puts out about .6 watts. That's pretty small, however with good coverage it is not a problem. When you hit the boondocks, then it becomes a bit problematical. Need mo' power. A repeater will rebroadcast your cellular signal with a full 3 watts. That should get the attention of the far off cellular tower your trying to contact. Not sure how much it improves the "receive" portion of your signal but will surely help. The units also have a cradle that supports your cellphone and recharges the battery simultaneously while in use. Being a hotspot pulls a lot from your cellular battery.   Additionally, a remote short whip antenna is included to put on your Pods roof. In those spots where you absolutely, positively have to have cellular, this should cover most situations. But, it cannot provide service where non is available. Of course, you also have to purchase a plan from your cellular provider to support your wifi thru your cellular. Hope that helps. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 2:41pm
Bob and Fred,

I use a Wilson repeater with my AT&T connected iPhone. It usually adds 1-2 bars to the signal strength on receive. However, as Bob says, if there's no signal there it won't invent it. In the plastic RPOD I had good luck with the external antenna stuck on a window, but I had to find the right window. With the Camplite, which is aluminum, I mounted the antenna on the roof.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 6:20pm
I use my cell phone when I am on the road I can tether my laptop and tablet and my wifes laptop and tablet to it as well. The only issue I have is I travel in the US ( I am Canadian) and roaming charges will kill you. I unlocked my cell phone and tried a prepad sim card last year but the coverage was very disapointing. The SIM I got was T-Mobile and I could not get a signal in a lot of places in the north east. I always had a signal when I roamed before on the AT&T network so I am going to get an AT&T pre paid SIM next time I travel in the states. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 8:23pm
Yup, T-Mobile's coverage is awful from what I've seen on their own coverage maps.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>