Topic ClosedWiFi Connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WiFi Connection
    Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 10:22am
When camping I need to connect to my office via a WiFi connection. I was wondering if anyone has used their phone as a hotspot and how effective it was. I will need to upload and download files. I know most rural areas have only 1G speed. We would like to use more primitive campgrounds but have been limited to private ones with WiFi. Any help would be appreciated. I know that each area has different connection strengths or none at all. Suggestions? I know that many of the fast food franchises so offer free wifi, but kind of inconvenient to lug a printer to the locations. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 11:56am
Bob,

We need/want to stay connected as much as possible while traveling with two iPhones, iPad and two laptops. There are a number of options available these days. For us, so far, using the iPad as a mobile hotspot (ATT) has been the most effective outside of public and paid hotspots. Do be aware of privacy risks when using any public hotspot.

My experience with file sharing has been that both Google Drive and DropBox are very effective and convenient for both home office and remote.

A good presentation of the subject:

-fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 12:08pm
Bob,

Some comments from my experience: Most campground WiFi systems are useless. They have limited WiFi coverage, are overloaded, and/or have a limited data connection to the internet server. With two iPhones, a computer and an iPad they are very disappointing. 

I have had good luck with the ATT mobile Hotspot, but Verizon has a competing product called MiFi. Rumor has it that Verizon has better coverage off the highways, but I can't speak from experience. I do have a Wilson iPhone amplifier/repeater with separate antenna because the iPhone has no external antenna connector. It worked well inside the fiberglass R-POD and I now have the external antenna mounted on the roof of my aluminum skinned Camplite 21RBS. A data plan is required and it works well in 3G/4G areas. I don't have good data yet where 3G/4G is not available. I suspect usable, but slower.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 12:52pm

We've used our cell phones as our primary data connection for 5+ years.  No way to get cable, FIOS or DSL where we live.  3G (shown as 4G on modern phones for marketing reasons) and 4G LTE are both fast enough for business use, I use mine occasionally to connect to my office network via VPN and access my work computer via remote desktop.  Downside is things like remote desktop and video use way too much data to do on a daily basis.

1G is actually the old original analog system from the 80's, which was shut off in the US a few years ago to free up channels for the digital system.  Typically the slowest you'll find today is 2.5G, which usually shows on your phone with an E for Edge.  I almost never see that anymore even in remote mountain areas (when I can find a cell connection).  I usually got about 150 kbps on Edge at my house or about 3 times dialup.  3G (4G) usually gets you 1.5 Mbps, or equivalent to DSL and cable about 10 years ago.  4G LTE gets you about 10 times that on a good day but in the real world I rarely see that top speed.

I agree with the comments above about Wifi.  Since we have a data plan that is big enough for our everyday use we rarely bother with local Wifi connections.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Lefty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 1:22pm
Android users can download an app called FoxFi that acts as a wifi hotspot. It cost about $9. I have used it for about a year and have been extremely satisfied. It converts your cell phone signal to wifi.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 2:53pm
All great comments. Techntrek mentioned remote desktop which is what I use to connect to my office computer. My experience off road and traveling on the east coast is that Verizon has a far greater coverage than AT&T. Recently purchased a Nexus 7 with cell compatability. Unfortunately Verizon does not support the Nexus, so had to use AT&T. Was very surprised at the spotty coverage of AT&T in the larger metropolitan area. Really can't deal with poor coverage. So for me Verizon is more better(as they say in some parts of the country.) I do pay a higher monthly rate, but our overall experience when traveling has been superb. Now back to my concerns. I only get 2 G of data per month with Verizon's hotspot service for an additional $20/month. AS Techntrek pointed out, remote desktop uses a lot of bandwidth so possibly this is not going to work. Will have to stay with WIFI equipped campgrounds. Yes, they are slow at times, and sometimes cannot even connect because of high traffic in the campground. So, very early in the morning works for me. Did look into a Sat phone, but too expensive for my needs. Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 6:54pm

Lefty, hotspot capability was built into my AT&T-supplied Android phone, although it won't work if you don't have the right data plan.

Camber Bob, I've found the opposite with excellent coverage with AT&T on the east coast from FL to ME, and surprisingly there were few places where we couldn't connect when we went west last summer.  

That said, when we got rid of our landline over a year ago I converted our phone number to a Verizon pay-as-you-go phone for backup.  I figure if AT&T goes down at home we still have a 2nd system for 911 calls, and for trips if we can't connect via AT&T.

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 8:36am
All great advice. I see a lot of us need to be connected while on the road. Fwunder sent a link that looks very interesting. I have downloaded the book to my Nexus and will read it today. As I mentioned I use Remote Desktop to connect to my office and then use the programs on it to do my work. Techntrek mentioned that Remote Desktop uses a lot of data on a daily basis. Will have to see if the 2 Gigs of data that Verizon offers is enough on a monthly basis. We go out for a week or two at a time and need to connect daily for about an hour. I am wondering if there isn't cellphone coverage if one of the boosters will work? Lots to find out about. If it wasn't so important to do my work on a daily basis, I wouldn't be overly concerned. But I do customer billing daily and tends to keep my bank happy when money is available. I do bring a printer with me so that is one of the concerns in being able to work in the Pod rather than setup an office at the local Starbucks or Mcdonalds. Much to learn. Thanks for all your input. Safe Travels.
T
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 10:28am
  We never use public WiFi have always relied on our iPhone hotspot.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014 at 12:19pm
Using a cellphone signal booster can help.  Usually stationary systems use a Yagi or panel antenna to pick up the weak cell tower signal.  Both types of antenna are highly directional, very high-gain, which is useful for very weak signals, but not something you can use on the road.  I've seen smaller in-car boosters which use a medium-gain whip antenna which are good for mobile applications.  Then the "inside" antenna provides the signal to the cell phone in a 50-100 foot radius in the building (10-20 for in-car systems).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>