Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - west & midwest states, 2014
    Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park is one of our favorite destinations.  We have been there every season, with Fall and the elk being our favorite.  And the Omaha zoo is great with a fabulous aquarium.  We can't do it this summer but maybe next fall.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Bubink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 3:06pm

Sounds like an awesome trip!! Be sure to check with the Colorado DOT as to what roads are open or being worked on due to the massive flooding last year in that area (RMNP). Agree on the New Belgium tour before you head into Estes. If you're in Estes, check out the Stanley Hotel, where the Shining (TV movie version) was filmed. Gorgeous old place.

And sounds like you're taking I-80 through Nebraska and into Iowa?? Well, not to blow our own horn but Omaha has one of the best zoos in the country and it's right off the interstate. If you can't make it this time, add it to your next trip!! Then scoot down 13th street for some of the best Czech food you will find, Bohemian Cafe. (Can you tell I'm from Omaha?? Can you tell I'm Czech, lol??) Safe travels!!
2014 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 8:11am

Wish we could hit every stop, but in the end our kids will have seen far more of the US than I did.  Our plan is to take long, slow camping trips when we are retired.  We'll hit every stop then!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jayman and Splenda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 1:40am
Looks like an awesome trip - Colorado is home for me, and I can't second (or third, fourth, or fifth) enough the "beer tour" idea.  It does look like you'll be missing Colorado's fantastic Western Slope though - Grand Junction; Colorado National Monument; across the border to Moab and Arches, UT; etc.  No offense to Georgia, but you haven't had a peach until you've had a Palisades, Co peach.  But what a fun trip you'll have!
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 10:17pm
A few Years ago we stayed at the Cortez, Colorado KOA. Which is a few minutes drive from Mesa Verde. At that time it was ranked the second best KOA in the nation. Very impressive!
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 12:31pm
lol
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 10:18pm
I've gotta second Grandpod's suggestion of Custer State Park; and Mount Rushmore is even sweeter if you do Needles Highway beforehand. You get a series of peeks at the Monument. It's like foreplay.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 2:16am
Looks like a great trip. You'll definitely need the AC in the Badlands!   Look forward to your post-report. We want to do the Southwest at some point, when the kids are a bit older and can hike further in the heat.

I second the New Belgium beers. At the very least, pick up a case of the seasonal mix at a liquor store in CO. A nice cold beer after a day of adventuring will be welcome:) and the Moose Drool from Montana - pick some up in West Yellowstone. Oh, and the Wyoming Whiskey isn't bad either - bourbon in Wyoming all local. Tasty.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 8:48pm
Actually there are several places that are ok with RVs overnight - Cracker Barrel, most Wal-Marts, truck stops. There is a camping store I can't think of right now which apparently has a breakfast buffet.  Nobody laughs, lol.

There is no charge to stay at these places but the unwritten rule is you should buy something from them. Not hard to do, I always fill up with gas at the truck stops and we always seem to need something from Wal-Mart. Haven't done Cracker Barrel but I would certainly get breakfast if we did.

Two more rules. Always ask the manager, and never make it look like you are camping - no chairs, no awnings, if possible keep slide-outs in. Running a generator is fine, just don't use a cheap contractor screamer. We always look up the number for the next Wal-Mart and call ahead. Some cities have made it illegal to stay in any parking lot so there are some Wal-Marts where they'll tell you no. If they say yes we ask where they want us, usually it is around back or on the sides. While I fill up gas at a truck stop my wife will go in and ask if we can stay and where they want us (pointing out our camper so they see we are buying their gas). They usually do NOT want you to take up a truck bay and will point to a corner of the parking lot. I prefer that anyway since that gets you away from the diesel fumes. No reason to call ahead since they are always in locations where it is legal, obviously. I would call ahead to the other places like Cracker Barrel.

We prefer truck stops over Wal-Mart. We've had a few experiences with locals - they know the RVs are there every night and like to mess around or worse, if there isn't overnight security (some have it). We've had a car do a burnout down the line of RVs at 3 am, kids checking things out a little too closely, etc. Locals will not mess with truckers if they value their life and the trucks are moving through all night - lots of eyeballs keeping watch - so that is our preferred stop.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 1:41pm
Doug, I know this is a total noob question, but does it cost anything to overnight at a truckstop? Do you park between the "big rigs"? Are some better than others? Do they make fun of you? ;)
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>